Tips for CPR and AED Awareness Week
By Greg Friese
CPR and AED Awareness Week got under way Monday. According to the American Heart Association, the goal of CPR and AED Awareness Week is to train one million people in CPR.
EMS providers can assist this effort by using these Everyday EMS Tips:
1. Become an AHA BLS trainer.
2. Answer the call from your training center to coordinate or assist training programs.
3. Encourage patients that are grateful for your service to give back by becoming CPR certified.
4. Host a CPR training program at your organization.
5. Include basic information in school age children station tours about recognizing emergencies, calling 911, and relieving foreign body airway obstructions.
6. Add your organization's training numbers to the real-time AHA counter.
7. Ask about the presence of an AED during building fire inspections.
8. Include a link to the CPR and AED Awareness Week Web site from your organization Web site or blog.
Do this now! Call a friend, parent, sibling, business associate, or child and encourage them to become CPR certified. Answer their questions about risks, the importance of citizens taking action, and how to find a CPR course in your city.