Home > Topics > Weird EMS News
April 01, 2012

Calif. man suing for emotional distress caused to his dogs by sirens

Joe and King begin incessant howling whenever ambulance with lights and siren activated goes by property

By EMS1 Staff

Editor's note: For those who haven't caught on, note the date of publication. Happy April Fools' Day! We hope you enjoyed our series of articles to mark April 1. Check out the full round-up here.

HOWLSBURY, Calif. — A man is suing an EMS agency for emotional distress caused to his dogs by ambulance sirens — and is looking to ban emergency vehicles from passing his house.

Jack Pott told his local newspaper in Calif. that the dogs — Joe and King — begin their incessant howling whenever an ambulance with lights and siren activated goes by his property.

"It's getting to the point where I'm worried that it's the dogs who will need the emergency treatment if this continues much longer," he said.

"I've tried phoning the department when this happens, so they can hear firsthand what Joe and King are going through — but they can't hear a word I'm saying."

To support the emotional distress claim, Pott filmed the dogs' "anguished cries"  when an ambulance went past his house last week.

ParamedicTV is powered by EMS1.com

"It's the moment when Joe's voice actually breaks at the 18-second mark that really got me, and made me go ahead with the lawsuit," Pott said, tearfully.

When quizzed on the size of the claim, Pott said he hoped to receive at least $5,000 in damages.

"Joe and King love the open water, and I really feel they could do with a getaway after this turmoil," he said.

"About $5,000 should cover the costs of a Mediterranean cruise for them; while I'm not a big fan myself of that kind of thing, I really feel it's something all three of us should do together."

Comments
Phillip Griffin Phillip Griffin Sunday, April 01, 2012 9:53:42 AM "Howlsbury , Calif."....April Fools!
Deb Hechtel Deb Hechtel Sunday, April 01, 2012 9:53:44 AM this might require a call to dog whispers, or move!
Douglas Keachie Douglas Keachie Sunday, April 01, 2012 9:54:31 AM That is mild compared to our shepherd's in full howl. Our dogs love a good group howl. Funnier yet the ads from Google for disabilty attorney's that were displayed concurrently.
Beth Edgerton Beth Edgerton Sunday, April 01, 2012 9:59:16 AM You have got to be kidding me! Wtf is wrong with people! Seriously dogs barke and howl. END OF STORY
Nina Stewart Nina Stewart Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:03:31 AM Joe...King....Jo-king, people!
Andrew Hanchette Andrew Hanchette Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:07:30 AM Lol, I love this. Good Job EMS1.
Aziz Quraish Aziz Quraish Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:08:35 AM wtf people y the hell would u go after the medics, were 911 not dog 911, don't get me wrong I love animals but this guy is another way to screw the ems system and make our lives harder.
LeighAnn Forsyth LeighAnn Forsyth Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:09:19 AM Seriously!!! Every single dog in the world barks and howls at sirens...........wtf is wrong with this sue happy world....
Randall A. Grondin Randall A. Grondin Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:10:48 AM That's is the funniest ha ha I heard yet....love April fools.
Will Roberts Will Roberts Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:11:42 AM He might do better sending this to America's funniest home videos
Kim Manning Dutton Kim Manning Dutton Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:33:00 AM There are some sick cookies in this world...........and I'm not talking about EMS.
Kim Manning Dutton Kim Manning Dutton Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:34:40 AM ohhhhh April Fools? well that's better.
Joe Fairchild Joe Fairchild Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:37:28 AM Second year in a row.......you had me going!
George Raab George Raab Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:43:31 AM You know what let him sue the ems agency and stop them from passing by his house. The day this crack head drops dead guess what, the ambulance won't be able to help him or try to save his life because of a couple of dogs howling. All because it's causing "mental distress" to his dogs. People think about what you're about to do before you do it because one day it may cost you your life.
Jennifer Daniels Kesselring Jennifer Daniels Kesselring Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:54:21 AM Karma will be knocking at your door, my friend! Pretty sure Murphy ('s law) will pay you a visit rendering YOU to be the one in need of EMS services...I hope your dogs know CPR!
Michael H. Reynolds Michael H. Reynolds Sunday, April 01, 2012 11:14:11 AM Are California lawyers that hard up that they will actually accept a client with a claim this myopic? Pott should have been told to go pack rat holes with sand. The lawyers need to be censured, or at least ridiculed. (But then, in order to be a California lawyer one must be immune to ridicule and shame for being so inadequate that they have to take on clients like Pott.)
Don Snorek Don Snorek Sunday, April 01, 2012 11:14:51 AM Is there an lawyer dumb enough to take this case? I guess that was a stupid question! Some people just don't have any common sense and never will.
Joshua Glenn Davis Joshua Glenn Davis Sunday, April 01, 2012 11:17:51 AM april fools nice.
William Dohr William Dohr Sunday, April 01, 2012 11:18:59 AM and I bet this crap has actually happened.
Michael H. Reynolds Michael H. Reynolds Sunday, April 01, 2012 11:21:50 AM Ha! Even though it is April 1st, it is sad that this story is believable because it refers to California. At least I hope this is just an April 1st style story!
Erik Mandeen Erik Mandeen Sunday, April 01, 2012 11:22:28 AM I just love the condition that the dogs are living in how about this the guy shuts up and I will take the golden.
Gabe A Smith Gabe A Smith Sunday, April 01, 2012 11:28:35 AM Great one guys.
George Gerhardt George Gerhardt Sunday, April 01, 2012 11:38:43 AM Really he cant be serious maybe they should ban emergency vehicles from his house. What is america coming too.
Christine Scarlotta Jones Christine Scarlotta Jones Sunday, April 01, 2012 11:59:13 AM Can you say cuckoo for cocoa puffs? What an idiot.....good luck with the frivolus lawsuit.
Mike Demarest Mike Demarest Sunday, April 01, 2012 12:21:15 PM as much as I would love to blame this nut job its not really his fault mental issues are everywhere (I have sat next to plenty of partners that really needed meds) you can't stop the nut cases but we should blame the lawyers supposed professionals that are going to take the crazy's case to court and how many completely ridiculous frivolous law suits have these lawyers taken to court which is why anyone in medicine practices in fear of these idiots oh you feel slighted lets sue them take them to court and put them on trial by a judge, jury and 2 sets of lawyers that know absolutely nothing about our profession remember when you do go to court and it is when not an if. you are being judged by 12 people too dumb to get out of jury duty!
Mike Demarest Mike Demarest Sunday, April 01, 2012 12:22:21 PM and BTW just read the first line could you please stop with the april fools stuff throwing me off my game here.
Raphael Lebovits Raphael Lebovits Sunday, April 01, 2012 12:29:14 PM This CAN'T be real...can it? I mean...REALLY?
Andrew Kahananui Andrew Kahananui Sunday, April 01, 2012 12:34:55 PM This better be an April Fool's joke. If not, I hope you never need an Ambulance to save your life. If you do, don't forget you sued to ban them from driving by. It means they'll have to drive to your house. If they're banned, sorry bout it, you gon die.
Elias Friedman Elias Friedman Sunday, April 01, 2012 12:42:16 PM Well, it IS April first...
Raphael Lebovits Raphael Lebovits Sunday, April 01, 2012 12:42:45 PM Elias Friedman I hope so. I really do.
Dakota Cortez Dakota Cortez Sunday, April 01, 2012 1:11:51 PM Really people? You really think this is a real story? Wow there are some gullible folks around these parts. Happy April Fools to this sue happy gentlemen with the howling dogs from HOWLSBURY, Calif.
Andrew T. Caruso Andrew T. Caruso Sunday, April 01, 2012 1:26:21 PM Guys....really? You know what today is, right?
????? ???? ????? ???? Sunday, April 01, 2012 1:27:01 PM You do realize that the story is coming from Howlsbury, CA. "Howl"sbury? April Fools!
Akiva Tepper Akiva Tepper Sunday, April 01, 2012 1:30:23 PM When he needs 911 emergency services they will wake their sweet time and not use lights or sirens.
Tony Banda Tony Banda Sunday, April 01, 2012 1:32:38 PM Wow the number of idiots per capita in California is just about as bad as Ms! And yep a cruise is going to fix this for sure maybe someone will throw him overboard and solve all of our problems and clear up some money on welfare, and food stamps for people who could actually use it You fucking idiot!
Elias Friedman Elias Friedman Sunday, April 01, 2012 1:35:24 PM The town's name is "Howlsbury", the plantiff's name is "Jack Pott", the Dogs' names are "Joe" & "King"...
Jason Clatt Jason Clatt Sunday, April 01, 2012 1:35:40 PM wow..another good april fools...
Gina Hollingsworth Gina Hollingsworth Sunday, April 01, 2012 1:40:21 PM Jack Pott, Joe/King, Howlsbury CA... good one!!
Jim Lucas Jim Lucas Sunday, April 01, 2012 4:05:16 PM Is this guy on crack hope he don't need a ambulance.
Andrew Azelton Andrew Azelton Sunday, April 01, 2012 5:39:28 PM http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/554/facepalm.jpg Everyone in here.
Samantha Elaine Fonda Samantha Elaine Fonda Sunday, April 01, 2012 6:39:55 PM My dog hates sirens too! Gonna make my millions!! Lol
Bridget Mulder Way Bridget Mulder Way Sunday, April 01, 2012 6:41:10 PM you had me going for a minute! I almost bought this, LOL! Great job on another awesome installment! Can't wait for next year :)
Mackle Mart Mackle Mart Sunday, April 01, 2012 7:22:42 PM Well, regardless of what happens, I believe that by filing this lawsuit, his address should be flagged to not send an ambulance to his address if one is ever called. Also, in the U.S. can one sue for legal costs like you can up here in Canada? If so, it might cost him more than 5 grand after they countersue for legal costs. As well, his neigbours might want to consider a lawsuit against him for causing them mental stress since an ambulance cannot respond lights and sirens to their houses either. If I lived in his neighourhood, I would buy siren and just drive by his house in my car or walk down the sidewalk with it just to piss him off.
Norman Sterling Norman Sterling Sunday, April 01, 2012 8:22:03 PM We need to hire these dogs, It will save us a lot of money on siren repair bills.!
Mel Maguire Mel Maguire Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:15:34 PM I am absolutely astonished at how many took this seriously. Oh, wait...no, I'm not. But I'm getting a damn good laugh out of it!
Beth Blake Beth Blake Monday, April 02, 2012 5:50:44 AM happy april fools guys! anyone notice the date and name of the town....
Cindy S. LeDonne Cindy S. LeDonne Monday, April 02, 2012 6:12:18 AM They don't seem so overwrought to me...just singing along. If he doesn't like it, did he ever hear of behavioral training? My guide dog has learned to ignore sirens and horns so he can focus on keeping me safe.
Leah Shirokoff Leah Shirokoff Monday, April 02, 2012 7:14:07 AM That is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. What would he have the ambulences do instead? Let people die? Get in crashes? The dog look rather content similar looks as when my dogs are howling back at the coyotes. Hmmmm - sue the Federal Government since I'm in the National Forest and they let coyotes live? I'm betting the lawyer isn't doing it on contingency.
Mike Paredes Mike Paredes Monday, April 02, 2012 7:58:43 AM I think he should hire out the dogs as sirens!
Dale G Wolfard Dale G Wolfard Monday, April 02, 2012 8:58:29 AM Obviously April Fools Day. However this stuff happens every day in Josephine County, Oregon!
Lauren Elaine Phillips Lauren Elaine Phillips Friday, April 06, 2012 12:57:43 PM OK so next time the person who's life they are going to save should be not as important as this person who gets annoyed by his own dogs barking...point noted life = less important then a head ache.
Lauren Elaine Phillips Lauren Elaine Phillips Friday, April 06, 2012 12:59:05 PM One more thing that man is going to feel stupid when he has an emergency but they cant come to his house and save his life because it could upset his dogs...People need to pull their head out of their butt.
Tim Freiwald Tim Freiwald Saturday, April 07, 2012 7:31:16 AM this guys an idiot my dog use to howl when the fire whisle blew and I know a alot of other does that do it too to differnt sounds but they are not in anyway mental distress.
Robert Gift Robert Gift Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:13:10 PM I blare the siren only when needed. Fun hearing the neighbor's dogs howling even before I can detect a siren.
Ulla Klok-Amok Laage Ulla Klok-Amok Laage Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:14:36 PM Howlsbury - hehehe !!!
Sara Beth Paredes Sara Beth Paredes Sunday, July 01, 2012 8:20:09 PM Hi Christine, I have tried to add you as a friend, but can't seem to find a link on your page. Thank you for the kind words. Sorry we haven't been to class. I miss it.
Joshua Eldridge Joshua Eldridge Sunday, November 25, 2012 5:01:35 PM What. The. Fuck.
Robert Gift Robert Gift Sunday, November 25, 2012 5:16:41 PM Howlsbury was toobvious. Howlever, Howlsburg would have been believable.

Weird EMS News Videos