AED failure prompts D.C. Metro review
Man was later transported to Virginia Hospital Center where he was pronounced dead
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Metro officials confirm one of their Automated External Defibrillators or AED's failed to work on Monday after a Metro rider suffered an apparent heart attack at the Pentagon Station. 51-year old Eugene McCrea was later transported to Virginia Hospital Center where he was pronounced dead.
Metro spokesman Dan Stessel said, "It is certainly unfortunate that it was not there and in a working condition."
The AED's battery was not charged and wasn't able to fire off enough current to give the victim a shock. It's not known if the AED would have saved the man's life, but the failure has prompted Metro officials to check all of their 46 AED's throughout their stations. That review was ordered to be completed within a 24 hour time frame.
Stessel said, "The AED's are designed to work when you need them most, and we want to make sure that happens."
While the review of current AED machines was ordered as a direct response to the failed AED on Monday, Metro was already moving to revamp their AED program.
Metro officials say all outdated AED's will be replaced with new models by April 30.
Recommended EMS News
Join the discussion
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of EMS1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.