Home > Topics > EMS Management
September 14, 2012

Fire department may give firefighters, EMTs guns in face of rising violence

Chief among the debate is whether guns would make EMTs and firefighters safer or create more problems

By Cornelius Frolik
The Dayton Daily News

GERMAN TOWNSHIP, Ohio — A debate is ramping up over whether to let EMTs and firefighters carry guns on the job.

Some emergency medical services workers say they now routinely face more violent patients and dangerous situations. But the prospect of armed emergency medical technicians worries critics who question whether guns would improve their safety or lead to other problems.

Full story: Fire department may give firefighters, EMTs guns in face of rising violence

Comments
FrGlenn Glorioso FrGlenn Glorioso Friday, September 14, 2012 8:12:51 PM Stupid idea! I worked in a department that had areas that were really bad! We staged for police. We are either saving lives or taking them. If you want to carry a gun, become a police officer!
Cortni Walton Cortni Walton Friday, September 14, 2012 9:12:52 PM I would go as far to say ok on issuing vests and non lethal weapons to first responders but I think carrying a gun is crossing a line. The fact EMS does not have guns works in their favor a majority of the time. I don't know how many times I've defused risky situations by simply stating "hey I'm not the police" having a gun would eliminate that line of defense. If there is a situation a gun is needed, EMS shouldn't be close enough to use them. Gun violence can break out suddenly so I think vests are a good idea, but in my opinion, say no to guns.
Charlene Mcdonald Charlene Mcdonald Saturday, September 15, 2012 5:03:46 AM not something I would be able to do, but if an individual had the training and proper protocol I wouldn't fight it.
Daniel S. Syme Daniel S. Syme Saturday, September 15, 2012 5:06:03 AM NO! If things are that bad then PD should be required to respond on all EMS calls.
Richard Hartmann Richard Hartmann Saturday, September 15, 2012 5:33:43 AM An alternative is to have a Police officer on every call.
Carol Wiggins Carol Wiggins Saturday, September 15, 2012 5:42:19 AM Definately no !!!!! How would you ever safe guard it while doing your job. No
Saturday, September 15, 2012 6:09:01 AM Concealed Carry. I have to safe guard my narcs, on my person, so why not a way to defend myself. Don't get me wrong, I think that if this option goes into effect, proper training is a MUST.
Saturday, September 15, 2012 6:23:00 AM I am all for the training on how to defuse dangerous situations and escape attacks (best defense, don't be there). But, having a back up like a tazer/other non lethal devices is a good idea (WITH THE PROPER TRAINING). I work in an area that has bad areas, that are expanding. I have been put into situations that I have had to wait on PD to show up (as long as 15+ minutes and have had to leave the scene). Still you have to look at the fact that families/pt/callers are not always honest with what is going on (I know that's a big shock! people lie? say it ain't so! --LOL).
Kathy Collier Kathy Collier Saturday, September 15, 2012 7:15:55 AM Mixed feelings about it. Should be able to use pepper spray if needed as defense. However concealed carry with permit is not illegal, just need to know if legal on board . You are taught scene safety first but sometimes what you thought was safe isnt. I guess too it depends where you work
Debra Yattaw Debra Yattaw Saturday, September 15, 2012 7:37:11 AM Oh my Lord!!
Richard Hartmann Richard Hartmann Saturday, September 15, 2012 7:43:05 AM If EMS were to carry they would need more training than the police get, The responsibilities and liability would be far greater than any police would encounter.
Christopher Todd Stephens Christopher Todd Stephens Saturday, September 15, 2012 8:03:34 AM I would say that I support it but I also know the types of personalities the seem to gravitate towards the EMS field. Obviously not all EMT's and Paramedics are morons but like any other line of work EMS has it's fare share and the last thing some of these jack-holes need to be doing is carrying a fire-arm. I see several referances in this article about EMS personal not having the training to act as police officers. First off that's not what this is about and second off we're not the police. Fact is some of us carry narcotics on our ambulances and these rejects know it. So when one of these degenerates intends on robbing the EMS crew and even contemplating on killing them for those narcotics we should be able to have the option to protect ourselves with the use of deadly force. I have a seven yr old son that I prefer to be able to go home to. Not him watching his father being lowered into the ground in a casket because he didn't have the abilities to protect himself against an armed thug wanna-be reject.
John Costello John Costello Saturday, September 15, 2012 11:22:52 AM Sometimes what seems to be an easy solution, isn't. Ambulance licensure regulations in some states my prohibit armed providers unless they are non-duty sworn LEO's. Retreat might be a better option, body armor another. I'm an EMS provider and educator for almost 45 years and a police officer for over 38 years. Yeah, I know - relic from a by-gone age.
Barbara Hobensack Stebulis Barbara Hobensack Stebulis Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:53:54 PM This scares me to death...how bout mace....how bout wait for LEO to arrive. How bout we change some attitudes in providers who believe in confrontation. Been there. Seen it. Stepped in more than a few times. How bout we take our EMS providers OUT of UNIFORMS that so closely resemble PD. Let's step up some classes on management of personalities..how EMS responds to situations they find a nuisance and how EMS handles confrontation. How to diffuse rather than incite. I'm not getting on a truck with another provider and a gun. This dinosaur will retire. (I know...a cheer just went up in the gallery)
El Lobo El Lobo Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:58:10 PM Why not arm them with Tasers. Or hire special trained security to go with them. Most place like Chicago might not let you do that. HAve trained security, which frees up police, problem fixed.
Joseph Peloso Joseph Peloso Saturday, September 15, 2012 2:32:57 PM Why not tasers or some type of non-lethal weapons..pack a punch and put the perp down?
Kathy Collier Kathy Collier Saturday, September 15, 2012 6:35:44 PM That is what it is coming to Deb. not like the good ole days
Nicholas Elam Nicholas Elam Saturday, September 15, 2012 6:54:25 PM What about stun guns tasters mace peppers pray
Todd Doll Todd Doll Saturday, September 15, 2012 7:13:13 PM Torn on this one. There have been times I wish I had one but then there are some people I would not want to be in a truck with if they had a gun. Training and screening would need to be in place.
Todd Doll Todd Doll Saturday, September 15, 2012 7:13:56 PM Plus I love chemical restraints!
Todd Pittman Todd Pittman Saturday, September 15, 2012 7:47:13 PM What's a taster? And a pray?
Nicholas Elam Nicholas Elam Saturday, September 15, 2012 7:52:01 PM lol spray and tazer auto correct my bad
Kathy Collier Kathy Collier Saturday, September 15, 2012 8:29:02 PM Todd How about a roll of kerlix in the mouth and duct tape. Remember we used to carry leathers and handcuffs
Brian Hehl Brian Hehl Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:01:23 AM No, I don't think so. I have been around guns all my life, I hold a concealed carry permit as well, so I am obviously pro-gun, but as both a Paramedic and a Firefighter, 20 years worth, I say this is a bad idea. First of all, we are tasked with being impartial and "safe" by the general public, we are supposed to be there to help only, not go in guns blazing. I am sorry if this offends, but the part about "guns blazing" offended, then you are probably one that would do it. I am also on the SWAT team as a medic for our Sheriff's Department, and even then I don't carry. I carry every day and it is second nature to me, so that wouldn't be an issue, but when I am a Paramedic, I am focused on my patients as well as my surroundings. I don't have time to do that job and handle threats as well. Some could balance that well, but many, I feel, would be more concerned with that gun than taking care of their patients. No, I think it will cause more problems that it fixes. The first time a medic uses one and is shown to be at fault and not used in self-defense, that department has had it.
Navarre Marshall Navarre Marshall Sunday, September 16, 2012 2:06:19 PM Agreed
Navarre Marshall Navarre Marshall Sunday, September 16, 2012 2:07:14 PM Agree to both of your statements Richard
Navarre Marshall Navarre Marshall Sunday, September 16, 2012 2:10:26 PM I say it would create more problems. What if the EMT or Firefighter get into a scuffle and the suspect gets their gun and it puts them in a position they would not be in if they did not have a gun. Police Officers get hurt from get into scuffles and the criminal takes their gun,
Joey Kemp Joey Kemp Sunday, September 16, 2012 2:14:02 PM Some departments and ambulance companies arm their medics, because of the drugs they carry. If anything, fire and ems departments should provide some level of protection to their employees, whether it is something as simple as a bullet proof vest, or even more extreme like a tazer or concealed carry handgun.
Brent Hicks Brent Hicks Sunday, September 16, 2012 2:14:08 PM I feel like it is a good idea as long as the EMT/Medic has been properly trained. It would make me feel a little better when heading into the not so nice parts of town to know that I would be able to protect myself without having to wait for PD to arrive after a shooting begins.
Bill McCauley Bill McCauley Sunday, September 16, 2012 2:15:22 PM we stage and wait for police.
FrGlenn Glorioso FrGlenn Glorioso Sunday, September 16, 2012 2:19:40 PM Taser or non-lethal yes. Gun? Not at all. Go to soft uniforms. Somebody wants your narcs, give it to them. Is it worth your life? Situation dispatched is bad or volatile, you should be staging for PD. PLain and simple. Let them go in, do the dirty work, and let us do what we were trained to do...Save lives, not take them. You want to carry a weapon for work, become an LEO or a Security Guard. You want both, go try out as a SWAT Medic!
Jason Brown Jason Brown Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:02:27 PM I work in Detroit and would love to be able to carry, I've witnessed so many violent incident where a gun just might make the difference. There's isn't enough police to cover us on the calls that are needed, we need to be able to protect ourselves. For those of you who say "stage" you don't stage in Detroit unless you want to deal with a violent crowd. Act like you don't care by staging and you face the consequences.
Dave Patrick Dave Patrick Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:03:26 PM HIstorically, those people who worked under the banner of the red cross, red crescent, etc. were considered lifesavers and neutral in regards to rendering care. When EMS camee on the scene circa 1967, the star of life became a symbol for emergency health care. The age old adage "if it's not safe don't go in" still applies. We don't trade lives for lives. If you find yourself in an unsafe situation GET OUT! the safest and fastest way you can. By nature EMS personnel by in large are not of the same mind set as police officers and fire fighters. I think the idea of arming EMS personnel would appeal to those who would rather be police officers and go down that route. This is an interesting concept, but a bad idea which may lead to more people being injured or killed. We don't need LODD's in EMS let's not ask for trouble.
Ryan Howeth Ryan Howeth Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:20:50 PM Barbara, maybe you should retire then, because its attitudes like yours thats going to get one of us killed!
Steve Jacobi Steve Jacobi Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:23:05 PM EMS providers are having a difficult time keeping skilled in the use of a larynoscope and IVs. Some are already killing people with their lack of skill doing intubation. How the hell do we expect to maintain competency in how to handle a gun in stressful situations? Focus needs to be on perfecting the skills in EMS and not trying to be a cop. This will just make the situation more dangerous for Police and all involved with more guns at a scene to worry about. Usually those who are the most vocal for carrying a weapon on an ambulance are the ones who should not be allowed to have a gun. If there is a need for guns in the field then the Police should be cross trained as EMTs and Paramedics rather than just handing over a gun to an EMT on an ambulance. I guess we are revisiting the 1970s with creating Public Safety Officers who are jack/jills of all trades. EMS will never gain respect as a medical profession.
Terry Peek Terry Peek Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:27:16 PM Be curious to see how state stautes stand on the issue. In NC, the only way you can have a firearm on an ambulance is if you're a LEO and acting in that capacity. In other words, it's against state law here. And if we get to the point of having to carry firearms, on the job, it's time to look for a new career. Body armor is a different matter. As the agency I work doesn't have it, I wonder if it's worn all the time or, like safety vests and other equipment, when the situation arises.
Ronald Bowan Ronald Bowan Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:35:11 PM If being trained on how to diffuse the situation is good enough for the EMT's then why do the police need to carry guns?
Michael Grasso Michael Grasso Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:36:08 PM Then theyd be in much the same scenario as now, how many coworkers already carry Knives, pepper spray, or some other form of defense?
Michael Grasso Michael Grasso Sunday, September 16, 2012 4:09:11 PM Police simply do not always get around to showing up on scene, and seemingly safe calls can become hostile fast. When you factor in Narcs, and a populaton knowing we carry them, malicious violence towards ems is increasingly inevitable(not to mention the extreme cases of mass violence that have occured this year). I don't feel that this is a topic that should be swept aside. As for "more training than police" private security guards are able to carry while working site security for unpopulated buildings, armored trucks and etc. They do not actively respond to hostile situations as we do and many of those jobs only require the issuing of a business/security carry license without much in the ways of additional training. EMS however is much closer to the public, which is good and bad, It means more exposure to danger, and more scrutiny when errors are made. To that end, We would need to be trained in the same defensive tactics and accountability as PD, or at least peace officer but I definitly would say it would be a good future investment to protect crews. I hate to use the cliche of "it's only a matter of time" but it's only a matter of time.
Chic Hakes Chic Hakes Sunday, September 16, 2012 4:11:06 PM I would agree with Joey Kemp. In my location, I believe that this would be a bad thing, but I do understand that in larger cities it may be necessary.
Phil Jordon Phil Jordon Sunday, September 16, 2012 4:24:42 PM One comment.....The cops carry guns to protect themselves, not you. When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.
Cheryl Pressley Posey Cheryl Pressley Posey Sunday, September 16, 2012 4:58:39 PM It will be interesting to see how this ends up.
Shelia Rae Shelia Rae Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:10:17 PM EMT are frequently the first responders at at least one should be trained and armed.
Matthew Crook Matthew Crook Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:31:38 PM Not all agencies will let you stage...
Terry Peek Terry Peek Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:32:34 PM I, personally, don't like it. Do I own guns? Yes. Do I shoot? Not enough. You're right Cheryl, it's going to be interesting.
Tamela Jablow Tamela Jablow Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:35:30 PM I am all about protecting myself and my partner. We are going into more and more dangerous places and situations. I have been assaulted on the job and the patient broke my hand. I would feel safer if I was allowed to carry a tazer. I am not sure a gun is the best solution. It may one day come to that. I want to go home to my family.
FrGlenn Glorioso FrGlenn Glorioso Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:37:53 PM What agency would willingly send a non armed ems unit into a hostile situation instead of waiting on PD to respond, please send me their protocols.
Matthew Crook Matthew Crook Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:42:43 PM if no weapons proceed in to check scene safety and leave if not safe, however there are cases where weapons may be present that were not at initial dispatch... I don't think ems should open carry, but i think concealed carry should be required...
Kenny Hipps Kenny Hipps Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:44:21 PM I'm in official capacity all the time... only time I truly have to unarm is when I'm consuming alcohol.
FrGlenn Glorioso FrGlenn Glorioso Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:49:50 PM If a call goes out, that has any possibility for danger, it is usually dispatched with PD. At least every agency in Northern Virginia has that policy. I mean, you come across an auto accident, sure there is a possibility that someone has a gun and may use it, highly unlikely. However, if people know that EMS personnel are strapping, then you just made yourself a bullseye. Whether you wanted to or not, they know you have a gun and to them you are no different than PD. So where do we as EMS draw the line. What next? Armored ambulances? Tear gas? Im sorry, im old school, you want a gun, join the police force. You want a hose, join the fire department, you want to save critically ill people be a medic.
Clay White Clay White Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:49:53 PM I see good and bad. as I first responder I have had to wait over 30 mins for the deputy to arrive to the scene. this is very critical in the golden hour.with leo departments cutting more and more officers we have to do something. on the other hand if the patient takes the weapon then its very serious.
Mark Kleibscheidel Mark Kleibscheidel Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:56:17 PM Officially armed=officially laible, ie means more insurance, more risk more training and ultimately more money. It would be interesting to know how many EMS providers have been in a deadly force situation vs just some escalation of force need, ie simple hand to hand, mace/baton or taser type solution. I would bemore inclined to throw my hand up to be in favor of that type training/equipment vs run away or deadly force as your only options.
Billy Siefers Billy Siefers Sunday, September 16, 2012 6:01:03 PM Absolutly!
FrGlenn Glorioso FrGlenn Glorioso Sunday, September 16, 2012 6:34:33 PM Ok and then what? Do you turn tail and leave the scene, or act like super medic, draw your own weapon and engage the person?
FrGlenn Glorioso FrGlenn Glorioso Sunday, September 16, 2012 6:34:54 PM As I said, we are EMS/FIRE not POLICE
Donald Weaver Donald Weaver Sunday, September 16, 2012 7:21:47 PM there should be a training class for that...there should be certain set of guidelines someone would have to follow and hell even if we were to carry tazer gun I would feel safer in the bad parts of towns.
Rez Medic Rez Medic Sunday, September 16, 2012 7:25:11 PM If you have been in this field longer than two weeks you know scenes can change from calm and safe to wild and deadly in a heartbeat, and then it's too late to stage, your already in the thick of it. Especially for remote providers where pd is understaffed and 30+ minutes away. Don't say it don't happen, I been there...
Louie Torres Louie Torres Sunday, September 16, 2012 7:53:50 PM I've been carrying concealed for 12 years. Not as a Medic though. Unlike a lot of people, I do train once to two times per month. So, if you are well trained and with good head on shoulders, why not!?
FrGlenn Glorioso FrGlenn Glorioso Sunday, September 16, 2012 7:56:10 PM I see your point, im from suburbs we dont have a problem with PD response
Dana Rae Aguiar Dana Rae Aguiar Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:15:38 PM Take.me to class n comceal legal weapon asap. Im livimg back in misen. turlock buddy so lets hook up . Miss ya partner
Terry Peek Terry Peek Monday, September 17, 2012 3:25:25 AM Official capacity is one thing. When you're working EMS, you're a paramedic, not a cop. Besides, there's the jurisdiction thing I think would come into play.
Walter Henry Walter Henry Monday, September 17, 2012 4:48:10 AM We don't need protection from the violent patients, we can sedate then, we need protection from their ignorant families who threaten us. Concealed carry? Maybe!
Allen Diamond Allen Diamond Monday, September 17, 2012 8:21:09 AM I think all EMT's and paramedics should be issued ballistic protection. Also be trainedd in the use of non lethal means such as stun guns. If they are allowed to carry firearms then it should be concealed then they should be given the same traing as a police officer.
Joseph Tusa Joseph Tusa Monday, September 17, 2012 8:46:09 AM This is what we do. In Suffolk county, ny a PD unit is dispatched to every call. 9/10 times the PD unit is there prior to the ambulance. I do not think carrying a concealed weapon is necessary. We have restraints both chemical and physical at our disposal. Being an AlS provider knowing I have both chemical restraints and PD on every call makes me feel I have the ability to stay safe in most situations.
Mischon Wallace Schuler Mischon Wallace Schuler Monday, September 17, 2012 9:25:22 AM It's a very dangerous job & some people are just not cut out for it. Me being one of them lol
Kimberly Jo Kimberly Jo Monday, September 17, 2012 9:40:54 AM I feel like it would be in their best interest if they were allowed to be armed.As long as they have completed a gun safety course and have been properly licensed to carry a weapon. I don't not feel that they are any different than a law officer, they are all out there to protect use and save the people that are in need. It is also legal for a everyday ordinary citizen with a carrying permit or a hunter to have gins on any given day, so why should it be any different for firefighters and EMS worker who are saving lives everyday?
Steve Jacobi Steve Jacobi Monday, September 17, 2012 11:43:16 AM For those of you who swear by the concealed weapon or gun safety course, let's look at some statististics: "database currently documents 343 incidents in 32 states since May 2007. In more than three quarters of the incidents (271) the concealed carry killer has already been convicted (99), committed suicide (165), or was killed in the incident (seven). Of the 63 cases still pending, the vast majority (53) of concealed carry killers have been charged with criminal homicide, four were deemed incompetent to stand trial, and six incidents are still under investigation. An additional nine incidents were fatal unintentional shootings involving the gun of the concealed handgun permit holder. Twenty-one of the incidents were mass shootings, resulting in the deaths of 94 victims." Now you want to put guns in the hands of 18 y/o EMTs and Paramedics with just a couple hours of training? Do you honestly think average citizens go out of their way to roam the bad parts of town or do most keep their weapon in the nightstand? The average citizen is not going to go out of his or her way to where they feel it is necessary to use a gun. If the average citizen can tell when and where there might be trouble, why can't an EMT? Do you really think killing a person is the same as hunting a rabbit? The "saving lives everyday" part is stretch in reality also. It is exactly this hero crap which worries me if guns are added to the mix. Guns blazing to save more lives?
Chris Mann Chris Mann Monday, September 17, 2012 12:42:38 PM properly trained and responsibility is key, either switch to fire/police dual roles & training or hire/train tactical medics/drivers or tactical 1st responder/drivers.Every dept, Indiana & Ohio especially could benefit from ITC @ www.right2defend.com.
Steve Jacobi Steve Jacobi Monday, September 17, 2012 2:17:18 PM If you want EMS to have the image on Chris Mann's website then I say we have lost the battle and will never be a real profession. EMS has always struggled with its identity first as Public Safety Officers, then firefighters and now it seems some just want to forget the medical stuff altogether and just be gun toting thugs. Seriously? Should that website be the image EMS wants the public to see us as?
Dean Fryda Dean Fryda Monday, September 17, 2012 2:19:32 PM I carry off-duty all the time, however on-call I do not carry. Scene safety is our number one priority, and I will stage until a LEO shows up for any type of domestic call, such as fights, suicide or attempted suicide, overdose and ETOH related calls. As EMT's we also routinely go to the local grade school and high school which are ABSOLUTELY no carry zones. Our ambulance service also transports across the state line into Illinois which has no conceal carry rights as well. I do have to say however, the Kenosha County Sherriff’s department does a great job of working with us, and they have no problem transporting with us if we have a violent patient, but I understand other parts of the country may not be as lucky.
Gabriela Decker Gabriela Decker Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:47:59 PM Having been the victim of a violent patient attack, I do believe we need to safe guard our EMS personnel. I do not necessarily feel guns would be the best choice quite yet...however, I'm all for properly trained Tazer-carrying medics!
Gary England Gary England Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:06:59 PM BSI SCENE SAFE if its not safe I'm not going in until it is made safe want to fire me go ahead but I'm going home to my family and will just search for another job. Some people lack the discipline to carry a gun just like they lack the discipline to drive an emergency vehicle and they just might think they are John Wayne just because they have a gun and take risks that they wouldn't otherwise. LEO has done a good job so far of watching my back I will trust them to continue to do so.
Diane Marquette Diane Marquette Thursday, September 20, 2012 5:44:51 AM I think Kevlar would be a better bet, then they can concentrate on the PTs and not worry about someone grabbing their side arm while they are distracted. They would almost have to train them as POs first so they would know how to respond to threats or actual gun fire. What if they perceive a threat and get an itchy trigger finger. When one fires their partner most likely will fire as well. They need extensive training, not just how to shoot back. But how to avoid being hit or in a hostile situation in the first place. They must also think of the patient and how to protect them while they are dodging bullets! Carrying a fire arm is a big respondsibility not to be taken lightly.
Aaron Cockrell Aaron Cockrell Friday, September 21, 2012 11:05:19 PM First off I am pro-armed citizens, and pro gun! BUT is our line of work there are some great legal issues, and alot of extra training in order to carry a weapon on duty! I have worked in large citys, and now I work extremely rural, our sheriff is 8-5 M-F and other than that 40 minutes for LEO. Do I want a weapon on my side at all times? NO! But would I like it to be on the ambulance so we have that option if our "gut" says something is not right. YES! I think they should be available, in a locked cabinet on the ambulance, then we also reduce the risk of a physch trying to disarm us in the back, or negligent discharge (cause we all know we end up in funky positions) or a loss of the weapon! It should be an available option especially when LEO has extended ETA! I did not survive my time as a military medic to allow some punk injure or kill me!
Steve Weaver Steve Weaver Friday, September 21, 2012 11:22:52 PM Not one of the examples given in the article would have been improved with if the EMS personnel had been armed. I can see maybe training and issuing of Tazers to EMS. If you are too far away from the threat to use a tazer then you are probably safe anyway.
Steve Jacobi Steve Jacobi Saturday, September 22, 2012 4:57:59 AM If you have time to go back to your ambulance to get a gun out of a locked cabinet, you have time to get the hell out of there. Having time to get a gun out of a locked box in another area of the ambulance and then confronting the person shows you have an intent to do harm and are now the aggressor, not the victim.
Caleb Garcia Caleb Garcia Sunday, September 30, 2012 4:20:10 PM This is a second amendment right that should not be limited to EMS workers. Especially those who work in high crime, inner cities. Train, be alert, and always avoid confrontation if possible. We are taught to retreat or stage if the scene becomes unsafe but next time you might not have the opportunity to retreat. Think about it. I would rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Sim Lincoln Sim Lincoln Sunday, January 05, 2014 6:20:55 PM I would agree we need some type of protection but ass said below, we are in compromising posistions all the time. I would prefer to carry the X26 taser in a chest holster. Would be a bit more difficult for someone to get to. I wouldn't carry a firearm to much liability and if were the only ones on scene it can be he said he said. My companies doesn't know nor do they need to know that me and my partner personally bought bullet proof vests and well as bullet proof jacket(yes they have bullet proof jackets). Be safe