Home > Topics > EMS Humor
May 15, 2014

Video: 'Voguing' EMT caught on dash cam

This unidentified EMT is captured busting a move while driving his rig

By EMS1 Staff

In addition to seat 'vogue' dancing, he's also using the radio to make plans to go out with a friend, report on some nightclubs and relay what tunes are playing.

Thankfully, he wasn't running an emergency call — and he did have his seatbelt on.

Comments
Heath Humble Heath Humble Thursday, May 15, 2014 4:53:30 PM I'm sorry, Dancing while driving and Talking on a two way radio all the time screwing around having fun, at times NO hands on the steering wheel. This EMS provider is by no means acting like a professional . He needs to loose his driving status and maybe a few days off. He could have easily been" the one to have caused a serious accident " Maybe the company can use this as a training video for EMS Driver safety.
Molly Hutchind Molly Hutchind Thursday, May 15, 2014 4:53:54 PM my unit and i were on the rig one time dancing... except we did ours in the bay.. not on the road..
Alejandro Zamudio Alejandro Zamudio Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:11:30 PM I dont see the big deal? Sure hes not driving to standard because he does let his hands off the wheel, but wanting his head on a platter because of it? At most he should get a warning. Hes not on a call, he doesnt have anyone in the back or a partner with him. hell maybe he got done transferring the vehicle to a different town 2 hours away. Who doesnt lose it a little bit when they do long drives? Guess anyone who has any fun should be banned from EMS.
Amanda Ballsmith-Kiser Amanda Ballsmith-Kiser Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:36:47 PM Grow up!!! You must not be in the field. If you are you are not liked and a bor the one people make fun of at some point we all act goofy And let off steam. It's so dad that there is always Big brother looking at us.
CJ Lundy Platek CJ Lundy Platek Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:37:27 PM This is bad! He obviously has a pt in the back w/ his partner. Putting all 3 in danger, let alone the other people on the road. We have enough distractions with the County radio, hospital and the distpatcher radio going. I agree, should be shown in a training video.
Maxime Clermont Maxime Clermont Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:47:13 PM I don't think having fun is banned from the EMS. Could go for a verbal warning about the time he drove without hands on the steering wheel, but other than that I don't see the big deal either.
John Overton Lewis III John Overton Lewis III Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:54:58 PM I don't see a patient or partner. Yes he needs a warning for driving with no hands but other than that why is the man not allowed to feel good? I think this field gets enough respect that someone seeing this would laugh it off. No harm done!!! But keep those hand on the wheel!!!
Michael Weddle Michael Weddle Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:55:46 PM I see the cot in the back in a sitting position and you can't see the tech's sitting position. This was reckless and careless. Above all, it was unprofessional.
Alejandro Zamudio Alejandro Zamudio Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:57:21 PM CJ Lundy Platek there isnt anyone in the back. Unless his partner is a stump.
Alejandro Zamudio Alejandro Zamudio Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:02:51 PM you can see the bench. go to the minute mark where its a bit better lit. If anyone was sitting there, there would have been legs. at least legs. when i sat in my ambulance my feet always touched the cot. and its been like that in every ambulance ive been in. You can see part of the airway seat as well and there isnt anything there. So the guy is having fun at work? i would much rather have a fun/happy medic/emt working on a family member than one who has a stick up their ass.
Nan Jiang Nan Jiang Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:14:33 PM New Jersey
Heath Humble Heath Humble Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:16:22 PM Amanda Ballsmith-Combs "Grow up " really ? I don't ask for him to be terminated . I have an Idea ! why not show this same video to Care Ambulance Service management , FTO anyone else that has some common sense ask them If they would tolerate his driving ? if employed with your company. For your information Im veteran paramedic since 1992, Firefighter for 20 years.
Cameron M Horne Cameron M Horne Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:27:14 PM This man needs to be in trouble for NOT cursing at other drivers, flicking off folks that cut him off, being happy and not having a partner to get in trouble with.
Robert B. Reno Robert B. Reno Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:29:45 PM Written warning other than that he clearly likes his job and is probably a good medic
John Mott John Mott Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:31:03 PM Anyone ever think maybe he was bringing the rig back from the shop and there is no patient in there? Yeah maybe a bit overboard but it's a vicious demanding job, dudes blowing off some steam and probably on a tac channel. Give him the don't do it again talk and go on with operations from there.
Jody Clanton Jody Clanton Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:31:51 PM Let the man have fun! We have rough jobs and see rough stuff everyday!
Justin Reynolds Justin Reynolds Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:31:52 PM You can be as negative as you want and preach about professionalism but once the door close it's on.
Jody Clanton Jody Clanton Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:32:59 PM I'm pretty sure it's very easy to judge when you don't work in this field.
Chris Mcdonald Chris Mcdonald Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:51:39 PM Patient? Partner? Where? Nowhere that's where
Keith Dickerson Keith Dickerson Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:53:20 PM First off Heath, lets set some shit strait. You work i a ER where you can't have fun. That doesn't give you the right to be hating because you got the God complex. I am a 16 year medic veteran with almost 10 years of that being served in the U.S. Army Combat Infantry as a Medic. It's safe to say i know more than most when it come to blowing off stress. This guy in the video was trying to change his bad day for the better. As you see he had no patient and no partner on board. Probably just finished resetting the squad from a bad run. Yes at times he had no hands on the wheel, this was his only mistake. Secondly he was on a secure channel so that's not a violation, he was belted in, he even still used proper due regard. so if anything your unprofessional for trying to bust out this guy for blowing off steam in a manner that was not in front of patients and didn't violate hippa. remove that stick from your ass and let loose from time to time. I hope your not a supervisor, if so your guys must hate your "gotta be my way attitude". That is all.
Scott E. Mayer Scott E. Mayer Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:02:41 PM He is alone, he is a little weird but he isn't hurting anyone. I've seen a lot of people doing a lot worse.
Marc Nash Marc Nash Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:19:19 PM Mike Weddle, grow up and have some fun. Trust me, the patients love it!
T.R. Ball T.R. Ball Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:20:45 PM He isn't texting. He didn't appear to be speeding, and for a change he looks like he is having a ball!
Leslie Rosier Leslie Rosier Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:24:30 PM Bahahahahaha. GUILTYY. #privateambodays #beentheredonethat
Katie Kristin Katie Kristin Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:31:18 PM I dance in my ambo all the time. sometimes very vigorously and have been judged by pedestrians but its my way of shaking off my day lmao what he did wasn't wrong and u can tell there was no pt.
Chris Imbrenda Chris Imbrenda Friday, May 16, 2014 2:12:31 AM LMFAO
Joshua Hartford Joshua Hartford Friday, May 16, 2014 2:26:11 AM i do this every day on my way to work cmon people!
Jeanne Tanaka Jeanne Tanaka Friday, May 16, 2014 2:52:37 AM * sigh * Reading all the comments...all I can say is "wow". There is nothing in this "article" really. All it says: "An unknown medic from an unknown company was captured on an ambulance dash cam dancing the day away while driving the rig.". Yes, the gurney is upright..but if there was seone in the back, I trust the partner would tell
Munchkin Kitsune Munchkin Kitsune Friday, May 16, 2014 3:14:26 AM ...Jeez... Kinda sad sounding article...
Jeanne Tanaka Jeanne Tanaka Friday, May 16, 2014 3:43:31 AM *sigh* I can't believe how uptight most people are getting about this video. All it states is: "This unidentified EMT is captured busting a move while driving his rig..." If a patient is well enough to sit upright, I'm sure he/she would be turning around to see what the hype was about. Or at least be bugging the Medic in the back. Or the patient would probably be dancing to the music too. Hahhaa! Seriously, though. I've been in EMS for 12 years. I know enough that if something was happening in the front of the ambulance, there would be some sort of reaction coming from the back. Another thing I am curious about is what the company's admin has to say about this video. I've researched this YouTube video; obviously, it has gone viral. The Huffington Post, other sites, and even Rhianna are unable to figure out where/why this video was uploaded. "We're not sure where or when this happened, but we are certain that this guy is enjoying his day." <--- Quote from The Huffington Post This video was obviously posted for fun. We don't know. I watched the video a little bit closer; there is something strange about how the passing cars on the driver's and passenger's side look. Actually, this whole EMT Voguing video reminds me of something out of Police Academy or Scrubs. Hahhaa! So really, it's nothing to get excited about at the moment. It's a comic video gone viral. Seriously, if anything was going down I believe that any EMT/Medic would know the voguing stops upon arrival on scene. *wink*
Jeanne Tanaka Jeanne Tanaka Friday, May 16, 2014 3:48:36 AM :P The only thing you can believe in is God, Sis. I truly think this is a fake video.
Daniel P. Brown Daniel P. Brown Friday, May 16, 2014 6:49:03 AM Heath Humble Since 1992, wouldn't "veteran" be implied? No offense meant, but it seems to me that tossing the V-word out about yourself may come off as a bit self-inflated.
Spencer Tuftee Spencer Tuftee Friday, May 16, 2014 8:24:46 AM Nothing but the radio traffic bothered me. I sing and dance on the way back from calls it's a way to get your mind off the call.
Ma Pate Ma Pate Friday, May 16, 2014 8:25:30 AM He's a New Jersey EMT. I see that patch.
Jenny Duncan Jenny Duncan Friday, May 16, 2014 9:50:44 AM He sees so much misery, it is good to see him happy, i don't see a problem with it. Dance DANCE DANCE!!!!!
Keef Giovaninni Keef Giovaninni Friday, May 16, 2014 10:19:31 AM Michael Weddle, you must work for the supreme court? no?
Gregory Geczi Gregory Geczi Friday, May 16, 2014 10:41:19 AM Michael Weddle take that stick out of your ass, oh wait, that is your head never mind...
Martha Cantrell Frock Martha Cantrell Frock Friday, May 16, 2014 11:24:52 AM Let him dance...at least he's happy not a whole lot of that in ems field :-)
Courtney Elizabeth Courtney Elizabeth Friday, May 16, 2014 11:30:36 AM Maybe it's just me, but I laughed at this. Gotta find some time for a 12 hour shift to de-stress.
Kathy Robinson Kathy Robinson Friday, May 16, 2014 11:35:15 AM Seriously??? Anyone who thinks this is "harmless" needs to look at the statistics on ambulance crashes!!! I'm all for having fun but this is an embarrassment to the profession!!
Kathy Robinson Kathy Robinson Friday, May 16, 2014 11:36:46 AM Here's the link--- http://www.ems.gov/safety-GA.htm
DeAnna Danley DeAnna Danley Friday, May 16, 2014 11:46:32 AM I want to know who posted the video?
Richard Berger Richard Berger Friday, May 16, 2014 12:02:45 PM There was a time I used to listen to the company 2-way radio, a personal scanner, a personal CB radio, while singing along with the music on the ambulance's AM/FM radio, while in Lights and Siren response mode. I also kept AT LEAST one hand on the steering wheel. Numerous times in this video, with the ambulance in motion, the EMT has BOTH hands off of the steering wheel. My friends at the EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operations Course) all stress BOTH hands on the wheel at all times (mea culpa that what I described was prior to me going through a week of EVOC in 1985). No hands on the wheel is a dangerous practice, no matter if in the family "Smart For Two", or a "Two Trailer/One Tractor" trucking rig. Brother "Bust-A-Move" should be disciplined for not demonstrating proper driving skills and vehicle control. (Noted: I concur the EMT patch looks like the NJ Department of Health EMT patch)
Jennifer Lubi Jennifer Lubi Friday, May 16, 2014 12:04:09 PM So funny!
Angela Stockley Angela Stockley Friday, May 16, 2014 1:05:39 PM WOW......... I had a great laugh...this guy is hurting no one. Yeah is "hands free" is not great but who else is he bothering..NO ONE!! Give it a break to those reprimanding.... I'm sure he knows his job and the professionalism required when a patient is on board. Lighten Up people!!!
Susan Ellis Hoskins Susan Ellis Hoskins Friday, May 16, 2014 1:15:34 PM Wow Heath, rough crowd. Didn't look like anyone else was in the rig, so no harm no foul, as far as I'm concerned, but voguing? Looked more like a CP pt having a seizure. Gotta say at times I've probably looked the same driving in my car. :) Daniel I'm thinking 20+ years in the field qualifies Heath as a veteran, and Keith, thinking that you just needed to blow off a little stress?/hope you are feeling better. Amanda you are right, big brother is everywhere, and it is a very sad fact. Please lighten up people.
Amy Hall Amy Hall Friday, May 16, 2014 2:59:21 PM Dude pull the stick out of your ass. So he was having a blast while at work, obviously this did no harm to anyone and you can obviously tell there was not anyone in the back. Jeeze if you do work in the field you wouldn't survive on the shift I am on because we always have fun.
Jenna Mashak Jenna Mashak Friday, May 16, 2014 4:33:27 PM Well during his dance time, he was stopped! He started rolling without his hands, but put them back on the wheel... LET HIM HAVE A BREAK!
Ashley Dawn Foxworthy Ashley Dawn Foxworthy Friday, May 16, 2014 4:48:53 PM If there's a patient in the back, then no-go. Need to maintain more professionalism than that. I don't agree with using the radio the way he did, tac channel or not because everything you say is recorded and you may slip up on a main operational channel which the dispatcher is ultimately responsible for radio professionalism. No patient in the back? Stay off the radio... but crank those tunes, bust a move and let out the stress. Nothing wrong with a little bit of fun
Bush Barton Bush Barton Friday, May 16, 2014 5:45:46 PM I dance like this everyday but I disable the dashcam lol!
Saturday, May 17, 2014 7:42:56 AM Michael Weddle There is no patient and no medic in back. The driver is alone.
Saturday, May 17, 2014 8:28:58 AM NJ EMT patch and he was identified last night on NYC TV station WCBS. Apparently he called in to defend himself. NOt revealed was the transport company he works/worked for.
Jared Hier Jared Hier Saturday, May 17, 2014 9:38:22 AM Michael Weddle. I think that you are out of your mind. There was nobody in the back of that ambulance and how dare you knock someone for having a little fun.
Rachel Tyrell Rachel Tyrell Saturday, May 17, 2014 11:42:47 AM This video would have crucified him had there been an accident...
Trevor Ackermann Trevor Ackermann Monday, May 19, 2014 11:11:14 AM I am an ex medic this guy is great, bet you when he has fun he has fun and when he works he does his utmost best. The only thing he is doing wrong in this video is dancing weird, but at least he is defusing. Such a pity this has fade away in South Africa where the work is for passion
Emt Tammielee G Emt Tammielee G Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:02:15 PM This guy is the bomb!! This job is hard enough as it is, sometime we just need to let our hair down and have fun sometime breaking the rules to do so! For those not in EMS who condemn you come do my job for a month and see how you feel after that!!! Have fun Vogue EMT man, dudes you've got moves....
James L. Williams James L. Williams Sunday, May 25, 2014 9:12:02 AM http://www.holdsworth.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/LEAD-EMS-Newsletter-V02-I02-EMSLI.pdf Link is to the latest LEAD EMS newsletter by the Bob Holdsworth group. All the articles are very good. But the article on page 6, You're only as good as THEY think you are, speaks to this type of activity very well. We all need to have fun and enjoy the job. But this was very public. A lot of people undoubtedly saw him driving like this. Some, maybe most, thought nothing of it. But what about the people that saw it and drew great concerns about him, the service, or just EMS in general? A lot of people are saying let the guy have fun and anyone that thinks negatively of this behavior is just stuffy or whatever. But the public is who we work for. EMS is a public service and a profession. There is a time and a place for everything. Driving down the road at whatever speeds, at stop signs, through intersections, etc is not the time and place to be acting a fool, driving without hands, having so many distractions, etc. He's driving a $100,000+ vehicle that the public paid for that weighs upwards of 14,000lbs. This was a very unsafe act in the clear view of the public.
David J Velliquette David J Velliquette Monday, June 09, 2014 11:48:07 AM HAHAHA... He's grooving out.. lol
Joe Phillips Joe Phillips Thursday, July 24, 2014 10:58:15 AM there is clearly no patient or partner.... the vehicle brand new is about 45,000 not 100+. This company is a privately based commentary where the public did not pay for anything. driving needs work but thats it let the guy be. someone always has to be " off with his head". I am sure the fact that this video is out is embarrassing enough.

EMS Humor Videos