Home > Topics > EMS Heroes
November 19, 2012

93-year-old EMT still responding to calls

Clinton Lowman started serving his community as a volunteer firefighter in 1962

By Mary Elizabeth Robertson
The News  Herald

HILDEBRAN, N.C. — The pager goes off and Clinton Lowman drops what he is doing to rush to his black pickup.

There’s an emergency in Icard and Lowman, an Emergency Medical Technician, heads to the scene ready to help the person in need.

When he arrives, he is used to folks doing a double take when they see who hops out of the truck to help them.

That's because Lowman is 93.

“(A nursing home facility) had a call about 10 or 12 years ago, the first call we ran up there, one of the nurses turned around to him and asked (Lowman) if he was where he was supposed to be,” said Brand Lingerfelt, fire chief at Icard Township Fire Department. “It’s highly unusual seeing someone in their 80s and 90s working as a volunteer, out there responding to help folks.”

Helping people is why Lowman keeps doing what he does.

“It gives you an awful good feeling if you help someone,” he said.

Lowman got his start as an EMT after he retired from his other position at a local mill in 1982.

“I was over the hosiery mill, I was over the knitting room,” he said.

Lowman was born Jan. 22, 1919 in Caldwell County. He came to Burke County when his parents wanted to find a home and settled in the area. He worked throughout his life and married his wife, Sally, in 1937.

Lowman began serving the community as a firefighter in 1962. He joined the Icard Township Fire Rescue as a volunteer firefighter.

At the Icard Township Fire Rescue, volunteers must have at least two years experience as a firefighter before being able to answer a medical call, Lingerfelt said.

Lowman said he can still put out a fire today.

“As long as the hose has water in it,” he said.

He worked as the assistant chief over traffic control, a position he continues to hold in the department.

He became an EMT in 1982 just because the class needed participants.

“They started the class and didn’t have enough (participants) to do that particular class,” he said.

So Lowman joined the class and received his certification to be an EMT.

Despite being an active member of Henry River Baptist Church and having six children and 12 grand and great-grand children, Lowman answers every call he gets.

He drops what he is doing and hops into his black GMC pick-up truck filled with gear.

“The back of it’s full,” he said.

Lowman comes in everyday despite his age because of his commitment, friends said.

“His brotherhood,” Brand Lingerfelt said. “We’re a big family here.”

Lingerfelt and Lowman are proof of that, as the two have been friends for 35 years.

"He sets the example for present and past members of the department on how this community is served," Lingerfelt said.

While Lowman has no plans of stopping, he says even when he can no longer volunteer as an EMT, he will still swing by the department.

“I’ll stop by for a cup of coffee,” Lowman said.

Republished with permission from The News herald

Comments
Jaime Lynn Harris Jaime Lynn Harris Monday, November 19, 2012 11:33:36 AM Beautiful people are still out there! How awesome!
Sara Loria Sara Loria Monday, November 19, 2012 1:57:42 PM I here him all them time on the radio. I hope I can be 93 and be responding. WAY TO GO!
John Cork John Cork Monday, November 19, 2012 2:06:55 PM Mr. Lowman you are an inspiration. Thank you, sir, for all you continue to do.
Mike Berger Mike Berger Monday, November 19, 2012 2:16:26 PM completely awsome, outstanding!
Cheryl Crow Cheryl Crow Monday, November 19, 2012 2:22:54 PM The world needs a lot more like you in it..... Thank you for being such an inspiration to the rest of us.
Heather Atton Cook Heather Atton Cook Monday, November 19, 2012 2:51:35 PM Awesome :)
Connie Scobey Connie Scobey Monday, November 19, 2012 3:09:28 PM Wow, what true dedication and committment. From a medic of over 25 years, I say a great big Thank You!
Mike McMichael Mike McMichael Monday, November 19, 2012 3:11:42 PM I wish I can last that long and I plan to do so as long as I can. It's been proven that if you stay involved and keep yourself busy, you'll continue to have better health and stay active. I hope that Mr Lowman keeps going and going and going, just like the energizer bunny.
Randy Roberts Randy Roberts Monday, November 19, 2012 3:14:03 PM Wow...amazing.
Larry M Cox Sr. Larry M Cox Sr. Monday, November 19, 2012 3:20:43 PM Way to goClint, tell Clint fyi old #644 is still serving as 1st out as well. And still sounds good, thank you guys for everything.
Earl Wilson Earl Wilson Monday, November 19, 2012 3:44:55 PM What an awesome story. What an awesome man. If many more people could be just half as helpful and giving.
Shelly Hill Shelly Hill Monday, November 19, 2012 4:43:39 PM Mr. Lowman, You sir are my Hero. I hope I am still able to vol. as a FF/EMT at that age...Thank You, you are amazing.
Susan Coffel Susan Coffel Monday, November 19, 2012 4:50:58 PM Way to go. It take a special person to volunteer, so thank you to all that volunteer.
Roger Steele Roger Steele Monday, November 19, 2012 5:40:21 PM From a 71 year old medic ..I take my hat off to you sir ....never give up.
Marc Alvaro Marc Alvaro Monday, November 19, 2012 7:24:03 PM AWESOME JOB.
LaTavia Wiggins LaTavia Wiggins Monday, November 19, 2012 7:31:29 PM What a wonderful story. i wish everyone could take a page out of you book. MR. Lowman i applaud all that you do.
Donna Graham Hammond Donna Graham Hammond Monday, November 19, 2012 11:59:10 PM Thanks for your service, hang in there! Am sure it keeps you young! From an old lady EMT/FF
Daniel Katzenstein Daniel Katzenstein Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:29:18 AM Wow. I knew the EMT bug gets into your blood, I didn't know it gets down that deep into your bones.
Marko Kukovec Marko Kukovec Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:33:46 AM he realy could be inspiration to all of us. Amazing!
Roberta J. Quintero Roberta J. Quintero Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:56:41 AM I love this story. This guy is an inspiration. I know that alot of us would stay on the job as long as we could. And here I thought I was getting too old at 62. Hey, just getting started. Think of all the experience Lowman has to share. Awesome!
Matt Amick Matt Amick Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:51:23 AM Thanks for the story on an inspirational man.
B Wayne Massagee B Wayne Massagee Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:42:28 AM Mr Cowman; From a 59 year old Paramedic I salute you. Your service to people is what its about. Keep up the good work. God bless you.
B Wayne Massagee B Wayne Massagee Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:44:12 AM Sorry about the wrong name Mr Lowman
Brand N Sandra Lingerfelt Brand N Sandra Lingerfelt Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:54:03 AM Good to hear from you guys. Hope everything is well.
Debra Lynn Kleid Debra Lynn Kleid Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:45:25 AM I had the privilege of going on several calls with him when I worked in that county. It is nice to see him still going at 93 and what an inspiration. I have been a medic for 10 years and I hope I can go as long as he has.
Delores Hensel Delores Hensel Tuesday, November 20, 2012 1:24:06 PM Awesome, beautiful person! Keep on keeping on my friend!
Jake Stein Jake Stein Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:16:12 PM Gotta give volunteers a lot of credit. It makes a big difference when you do something you love for free instead of whining about the hours, not getting a 10% discount on your meals and not having the world drop at your feet to worship your EMT patch.
Dominick Walenczak Dominick Walenczak Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:57:37 PM I know why he never got out... Being the Lowman on the totem pole, he was never able to bid out of the field shifts! Ha! But no seriously, bad jokes aside... thanks for continuing to do what you do.
John Vo John Vo Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:48:14 PM Such dedication. He's a rare one alright.
Vickie Johnson Fowler Vickie Johnson Fowler Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:39:08 PM I admire this gentleman, but I can promise you......I'm not going to be that guy!
Matthew Miles Matthew Miles Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:58:59 PM Of course not. You will be that gal!
Lily Lillian Lily Lillian Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:07:28 AM Amazing story.
Jim Hook Jim Hook Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:22:06 AM I'm taking that to mean no sex change for you. I support your life style decisions.
Vickie Johnson Fowler Vickie Johnson Fowler Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:25:27 AM ha ha!
Pattie Hook Pattie Hook Thursday, November 22, 2012 8:05:01 AM No! Cause we got quilt'in to do!
Vickie Johnson Fowler Vickie Johnson Fowler Thursday, November 22, 2012 3:04:53 PM Amen and amen, Pattie!!!
Lynn Minor Lynn Minor Friday, November 23, 2012 4:49:27 PM That, s great! What an example of a true man.
Douglas Harris Douglas Harris Monday, November 26, 2012 11:32:36 AM 93 years old and still responding to calls , That shows great inspiration and love for the emergency services field. I just wish we could get the younger generation to show as much dedication as you have shown.Keep up the great work!
Dave Taylor Dave Taylor Saturday, December 01, 2012 3:47:51 PM Sue... this will be you!
Stacy Marie Allen Stacy Marie Allen Wednesday, December 05, 2012 6:33:12 AM Your beautiful... keep saving lives. Thank you!
Woodward County EMS Woodward County EMS Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:34:29 AM Fantastic......
Scott Grant Scott Grant Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:22:08 AM That's awesome!

EMS Heroes Videos