Home > Topics > EMS Education
March 30, 2014

Paramedic school closes doors a month before graduation

Shocked students were trying desperately to find a way to finish their course work that started in September and was supposed to finish May 6th

KBOI2.com

MERIDIAN, Idaho — A paramedic school shut its doors last Tuesday leaving students with a lot of questions.  Guardian college of Meridian teaches students courses on paramedic training in preparation for paramedic certification.  The owner says the school is certified to graduate students for course work  to pass an exam students need to get a job.

Students say they were told the college would shut down and the school would not graduate their class. "They told us doors are closing on Tuesday this will be your last class. and I was shocked. I didn't know what to do," Taylor Burkhardt said.

Shutting down the school caught students off guard. "I wasn't very happy about it obviously. I put all that time and money, $16,000 into the program. This is a career I want to pursue. This is my dream job. it was disheartening," Travis Hall said.

Read full storyParamedic college shuts down before students graduation

Comments
Elizabeth Miller Elizabeth Miller Sunday, March 30, 2014 10:10:34 AM I would be furious. Ms. Sterkie says that the landlord wouldn't let her stay another month. That's all? Find a public school with an extra room, an American Legion, a church basement, a dumpster. Seriously. Get it together.
Yedidya Ben-Avie Yedidya Ben-Avie Sunday, March 30, 2014 2:09:14 PM Also the statement about Obamacare seems to be incorrect. http://www.politifact.com/new-hampshire/statements/2012/jun/01/kelly-ayotte/kelly-ayotte-claims-student-loan-change-government/ I can't see how the change would make it so much harder for students to get loans that they were unable to keep their doors open. I wonder whether this program was CaAEMSP accredited and maybe there was an issue there.
David Matthew Williams David Matthew Williams Sunday, March 30, 2014 4:10:11 PM Was Bryan Gibson the dean?
Leslea Stovall Adams Leslea Stovall Adams Sunday, March 30, 2014 4:28:17 PM Surely someone has helped these students
Ed Hillenbrand Ed Hillenbrand Sunday, March 30, 2014 4:47:00 PM Blaming ObamaCare on poor management skills. Really? At least be honest and say you screwed the the students over. ObamaCare doesn't need your help to look bad.
Mikey Anderson Mikey Anderson Sunday, March 30, 2014 5:19:44 PM It was not an accredited program. She took their money and screwed those students.
Luisa Franco Luisa Franco Sunday, March 30, 2014 5:48:29 PM Hopefully they can get their money back at least
Charlie Reyes Charlie Reyes Sunday, March 30, 2014 6:08:55 PM And I ALMOST enrolled there? Smh
Donna Baer Donna Baer Sunday, March 30, 2014 6:15:40 PM Suddenly six weeks before end of this class the doors have to be closed? Something very fishy here, sure feel for the 9 students involved who are stuck with almost 8 months of class and no completion. I'd be after the school for a full refund plus penalty if it were me. Sad that folks will walk out on something this far in.
Amanda Klett- Kane Amanda Klett- Kane Sunday, March 30, 2014 8:28:19 PM Similar thing happen to be in Galesburg, IL at Carl Sandburg College my classmates and I was called the Friday before second semester was to start and they told us they were not going to have the paramedic program any more this year, and they might offer it again next year but we would have to take 1st semester over again. Was so furious with the the money and time we wasted and we never got a straight answer to as why they did it.
Char Manley Char Manley Sunday, March 30, 2014 8:59:47 PM Still see women are the minority, all dudes in photo.
Char Manley Char Manley Sunday, March 30, 2014 9:01:45 PM More like the republican way. Let's face or...low paid white male medics tend to vote right. Be honest
Char Manley Char Manley Sunday, March 30, 2014 9:02:05 PM *it
Richard Small Richard Small Monday, March 31, 2014 3:09:11 AM Unfortunately it's a very real risk that is taken when someone doesn't go to an accredited program. Even if you do get to sit for testing you may not be able to get a job because of the program reputation. ... it's sad that these people can even call themselves a school.
Richard Small Richard Small Monday, March 31, 2014 3:09:59 AM And it has very little to do with any president.
Richard Small Richard Small Monday, March 31, 2014 3:19:44 AM Actually, nothing to do with the president. .
Greg Natsch Greg Natsch Monday, March 31, 2014 4:29:00 AM Non accredited in 2014? Sounds like snake oil to me. I'm concerned that they, the program, were allowed to go this far.
Crystal Anne Channell Crystal Anne Channell Monday, March 31, 2014 12:20:55 PM That is INSANE! Did the staff explain why the school suddenly closed?
Thais DaLee Scales Thais DaLee Scales Monday, March 31, 2014 2:54:10 PM No one has helped these students as of yet!
Leslea Stovall Adams Leslea Stovall Adams Monday, March 31, 2014 3:30:47 PM Unbelievable
Edward Jason Zubia Edward Jason Zubia Monday, March 31, 2014 6:20:51 PM I had this happen to my program back in 2004, when every class required to be a nationally accredited program. It had to shut its doors reopen under a different name. It has been running smooth since.
Tuesday, April 01, 2014 5:38:48 PM The school was licensed and bonded. They will get their money back.
Tuesday, April 01, 2014 5:41:22 PM The program was CoAEMPS and if the Gov't pulls their backing for private bank school loans (according to the article you posted) then banks are not going to offer those loans anymore.
Brian Graham Brian Graham Wednesday, April 02, 2014 6:15:15 AM Agreed, and calling it a college is really stretching it.
Richard Small Richard Small Wednesday, April 02, 2014 6:25:49 AM That sounds like a problem stretching way beyond a month. First thing charging $16,000 for any paramedic program should be and probably has a crime associated with it. She's was attempting to reap the benefits from government money. Or so it appears that way. I truly feel bad for the students because anyone that gets into this career is truly a good person at heart and it may leave a bad taste in their mouths. ..
Richard Small Richard Small Wednesday, April 02, 2014 6:30:35 AM Elizabeth are you one of the unfortunate students?
Elizabeth Miller Elizabeth Miller Wednesday, April 02, 2014 7:12:10 AM No, but I recently graduated from paramedic school. I spent every minute I had studying everything I could, and I made the most of every opportunity I could conjure up. If I was kicked out a month early because of a lease, I'd have been too close to the edge of crazy for my own good!
Kevin B Young Kevin B Young Wednesday, April 02, 2014 7:56:52 AM I was shocked to hear that they closed. Guardian also taught EMT, CPR, Wildland Fire Science ,Certified Personal Trainer, and Corrective Exercise Specialist. We would love to be able to help the former students and instructors continue their class. If anyone can help us figure out what needs to be done let me know. www.youngheartsed.com
Kevin B Young Kevin B Young Wednesday, April 02, 2014 8:02:46 AM We have a small Class room set up for CPR training that we would offer to the instructors and students to use to complete the program.
Lisa Hoyt Lisa Hoyt Wednesday, April 02, 2014 9:04:41 PM This happens at accredited colleges also. Twice at SCC in Spokane. After several attempts to keep the program going after suspensions, it finally closed. Some received completion certifications and some didn't. Some were lucky enough that their fire dept (paid) were able to help them finish by hiring ian instructor. And several who did receive a certificate were unable to take the practical and the NATL Reg exam because the dates were entered incorrectly and other issues. The nursing program was also closed down around the same time or shortly after leaving those students unable to complete the course. INHS has a new medic program at a cost of about$12k for everything. But when you still owe $10k from the other, you can't afford this program.
Thomas Caldwell Thomas Caldwell Friday, April 04, 2014 12:01:48 PM Heads should roll !
Lisa Hoyt Lisa Hoyt Sunday, April 06, 2014 5:28:02 PM I went through the community college. Licensed, bonded, Fed loans accepted, etc. We did not get our money back and still owe for the student loans.
Shirley Gastler Shirley Gastler Wednesday, April 09, 2014 3:28:22 PM Char Manley , you are so full of crap, you don't know what other people vote and frankly it is none of your business. Geezo! these 9 medics get a shaft and you spout political bullcrap
Larry Spry Larry Spry Thursday, June 05, 2014 6:56:12 AM I think a little jail time for the owner of this school would help a lot
Travis Hall Travis Hall Friday, September 26, 2014 8:43:50 AM I was one of the students caught in the middle of this, I just wanted to thank everyone for voicing their concern. I recently just obtained my national registry paramedic, luckily Idaho State University stepped in and finished our program for us.