Home > Topics > EMS Advocacy
May 09, 2014

TLC’s new “OMG EMT!” show: What do you think?

The show features “unusual emergency calls, told by real-life EMTs” and is meant to give viewers an inside look at what EMTs deal with on a daily basis

EMT Samantha (Sammi) Charen was called to a scene where a drunk college student attempted to slide down the wooden railing of a staircase, and ended up with the world’s worst splinters.

“It’s hard to believe it happened,” Charen, 20, told the New York Daily News. She has been an EMT for three years, and was featured on the first episode of TLC’s four-part reenactment series “OMG EMT!”

"I love that it's a stable job but there's change every day," she said. "But that could also mean I have a 4-year-old that goes into cardiac arrest."

The show is meant to give viewers an inside look at what EMTs deal with on a daily basis. “It features some of the most memorable and unusual emergency call, told by real-life EMTs,” according to a press release from TLC.

In an upcoming episode, Charen also received a radio call along the lines of “unconscious victim entraps female.”

They arrived to find a large man suffered a seizure in the middle of intercourse, and collapsed on top of a tiny woman.

“We didn’t understand what it was until we got there,” Charen said.

Each episode features dramatizations of three real-life EMT calls. It airs Saturdays at 10 p.m. EST/9 p.m.

So, we want to know. Have you seen the show? What do you think? If you haven’t seen it, do you plan to check it out?

Comments
Dakota Cortez Dakota Cortez Friday, May 09, 2014 2:39:20 PM "The show is meant to give viewers an inside look at what EMTs deal with on a daily basis." ... Yeah this isn't daily occurrence stuff. That'd make for boring tv.
Gary Saffer Gary Saffer Friday, May 09, 2014 5:42:49 PM All of these shows have one thing in common. It's more important for them to be entertaining than it is for them to be accurate.
Brandon Prill Brandon Prill Friday, May 09, 2014 9:12:10 PM Brought to you by the network who created such American classics as "John and Kate Plus 8" and "Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo".
Chris Mancuso Chris Mancuso Friday, May 09, 2014 9:18:30 PM Sammiiiii
Lee Hanson Lee Hanson Friday, May 09, 2014 9:30:24 PM Dorks!!! She answered the radio before the whole radio call-out was completed.
Melinda Jordan Melinda Jordan Friday, May 09, 2014 9:37:04 PM No one would watch it if it was boring every day transporting granny from the old folks home. So, yes they will have the unusual calls and the entertaining ones on there. Will most emts like it? Probably not, but you will watch just to tear it apart. That's what we usually do to ourselves. It says right up front unusual calls emts run. How often do you run different really weird calls, that are TV worthy enough to keep someone from changing the channel? I highly doubt they will be very accurate enough to satisfy our little group of ocd people. If you want that I suggest you get a camera and film your own show like the firefighters were doing in New York and Boston.
Richard Davey Richard Davey Friday, May 09, 2014 10:05:42 PM I do have to say I have watched the show and now I have them all recorded when they come on t.v. can't wait till the next episode
Brodie Verworn Brodie Verworn Friday, May 09, 2014 10:59:32 PM "Trauma: Life in the ER" and "Paramedics" back around 2000. Those were worth watching. Screw HIPAA and forcing TV to make reenactments! ;)
Kristina Ann King Kristina Ann King Saturday, May 10, 2014 2:50:20 AM Haven't watched it and do not plan to......reality TV at it's worst. I'm certain the "large man who suffered a seizure during intercourse and collapsed on top of a tiny woman" is happy to see his story broadcast. Whatever happened to "do no harm"? This type of media attention is not what our profession needs. Pre-Hospital Care Providers are supposed to be patient advocates, and it doesn't appear to me that these folks are advocating for anyone but themselves. Fame and Glory is more like it. I have known hundreds of providers over the years, and the split is about 50/50, those who are in EMS for the wrong reasons, and those who are in EMS for the right ones.
Zaith Camejo Zaith Camejo Saturday, May 10, 2014 4:46:47 AM Please please please please please .. Do NOT. Air that ...
Zaith Camejo Zaith Camejo Saturday, May 10, 2014 4:49:04 AM They also are very experienced.... Full 3 years lol ..... But that is not the worse part .... The worse part is the bad acting .
Ken McGahee Ken McGahee Saturday, May 10, 2014 5:21:02 AM Maybe they should do a dialysis ride along to see what we "deal with on a daily basis."
Nancy Malley Nancy Malley Saturday, May 10, 2014 5:32:21 AM Kristina, you could not be more correct. I never realized what a good crew of EMTs could mean until we needed them. We were lucky to draw the very best. They were very professional and highly skilled, but also went the extra mile to be gentle, kind and caring. When the VA got involved we had some that definitely were not good at their jobs at all, so I know the difference you are talking about. I think of Staci and Steve as friends so close they are like family to me, and what they did for my husband was priceless. I think this is an under-appreciated service and one that people just don't even think about until they need it, and it takes a special kind of person to be good at it.. I also agree it is a bad idea to make a sensational "reality show" out of it because they are not likely to treat the subject with the respect that it deserves.
Ann Richmond Pisarsky Ann Richmond Pisarsky Saturday, May 10, 2014 5:45:17 AM Aw, c'mon. This was quite entertaining and the reinactments are fine. I hear a vague story of such a lot. Hippa is safe, and we get a small sample of some creative thinking from some talented folks in different situations. I hear such stories on the news as well.
Tim Hauptrief Tim Hauptrief Saturday, May 10, 2014 6:46:01 AM If you wanted to make it realistic call it, OMG not you again, but then it would be on CNBC and it would be about Medicare Medicaid abuse.
Dominick Walenczak Dominick Walenczak Saturday, May 10, 2014 7:57:51 AM Atleast it's not "Here Comes the Boo-Boo Bus". ;-)
Dominick Walenczak Dominick Walenczak Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:00:09 AM Not to be that guy... but did anyone notice that they didn't turn on the red primary lights on the box, but only the lightbar and wigwags?
Debbi L Weimer Debbi L Weimer Saturday, May 10, 2014 9:31:04 AM Why would any EMT or doctor agree to be on such a show? And why would their patients sign consent for their story to be aired? So wrong on so many levels. I hope if I need someone, Kris will be the one to show up with her Bandaid box!!
Jeff Harris Jeff Harris Saturday, May 10, 2014 9:51:22 AM Lol how the hell us he "texting" with the phone closed? And who the hell still uses a flip phone?
Scott Moran Scott Moran Saturday, May 10, 2014 1:41:29 PM I had to turn it off it was terrible
Michael Richardson Michael Richardson Saturday, May 10, 2014 2:33:21 PM It was almost like watching a train wreck, you don't want to watch but you have to. I finally reached the point where I couldn't stand it anymore and turned it off. I understand the need to use "interesting" calls to attract viewers but at least try to make it a little more accurate than completely ridiculous.
Monta Jean Farrell Monta Jean Farrell Saturday, May 10, 2014 5:04:27 PM ...These "shows"! They don't translate well if you weren't there to begin with.
Monta Jean Farrell Monta Jean Farrell Saturday, May 10, 2014 5:09:03 PM Yes, and the show filmed at some busy beach in Ca. Taped in real-time; they had an impressive arrest recovery rate.
Local Guy Local Guy Saturday, May 10, 2014 10:15:19 PM Another "EMS" show that makes me cringe. AWFUL! Bad acting and a bad portrayal of EMS. If you want to make an EMS reality show, they try making something along the same lines as COPS. Film real medics on the job instead of over dramatically reenacting scenes that the producers takes creative license with.
Lena Clay Wills Lena Clay Wills Saturday, May 10, 2014 11:48:03 PM I really like it. As an EMT in training, I really have fallen in love with the world of EMT and Paramedics. I try to find all I can to give me a view of what I am in for. Really glad I found this show. So far I like what I see.
Rob Wilson Rob Wilson Sunday, May 11, 2014 1:25:26 AM I saw the pilot, is stupid. Don't waste your time.
Sharon Nelson Pederson Sharon Nelson Pederson Sunday, May 11, 2014 4:18:13 AM As an EMT For 13 years, I enjoyed it. I could relate to a couple of the calls they showed. You just never know what you are going to get when you arrive.
Trevor Lowey Trevor Lowey Sunday, May 11, 2014 9:02:20 AM I stumbled across it last night and I'm frankly embarrassed by it. Here you have the "so called" medical professionals who were witness to an unusual and embarrassing medical event making light of something quite traumatizing to the patient. When I care for my patient I want them to know that their situation is the most important thing in the world to me at that moment, I want them to know that I will treat them with the dignity and the respect they should expect from a medical professional. Sure, the television show changed names to protect the identity of the patients, but if I was the patient for any of these ambulance drivers I would know who they were blabbing about to anyone who would watch this tripe. I would know what my health care "professionals" really thought and said of me, my condition, and my situation. It would exacerbate a situation that had likely already left serious psychological scars in many cases. I will never recommend this show to anyone...I won't even mention how much I hate it to anyone. Hopefully it will disappear.
Harry Ball Harry Ball Sunday, May 11, 2014 3:46:13 PM I enjoy being an advocate for moms who call 911 because their 18 month old had a white head pimple on the thigh and for people who call 911 from the ED because they are not seen quick enough. Guess some people will never know how it feels to run over 24 calls on a 24 hour shift...
Kristina Ann King Kristina Ann King Sunday, May 11, 2014 5:52:53 PM Harry Ball actually I know exactly what that's like.....and more. Have been in this business more than half my lifetime....enought said.
Wayne Schuetz Wayne Schuetz Sunday, May 11, 2014 7:01:53 PM Dumb. Did I mention "Dumb". In the sequence where the EMT is attempting to deliver a baby she has said that she has a rookie partner yet she allows him to have a Paramedic patch on his right shirt sleeve.
Bonnie Wilson Cook Bonnie Wilson Cook Sunday, May 11, 2014 9:15:25 PM I saw the show OMG EMT for the first time yesterday. It was hilarious! I can't wait to see more, and I will be telling all my friends to watch it too! This is a winner in my book!
Gary England Gary England Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:32:16 PM Saw an episode last night one call was a couple that got stuck during sex from her vagina clamping down on him. The EMT said that she told her partner to bring lots of lube and then attempted to get them loose before giving up and putting them both on the stretcher and transporting. What state in this great country of ours has a protocol on penile vaginal seperation? Another call was a medic with a rookie and after delivering a baby they prepare to transport and discover that the new guy has locked they keys in the truck. Now this one I can relate to because I humbly admit that I have done it after a 200 mile transport and upon trying to load the stretcher to go back home discovering the doors to be locked and the keys in the ignition. Luckily, security was able to unlock it so we could go home.
Cathy Blank Cathy Blank Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:56:07 PM Loved it laughed hard.
Franklyn Mejia Franklyn Mejia Sunday, May 18, 2014 11:21:14 AM this show is okay my only problem is that its way to Hollywood then real. the emts on the show look like fresh out emt training and look like high school kids lol .
Ken Fears Ken Fears Sunday, May 18, 2014 6:21:48 PM I've seen it and am disappointed. First, the EMT's seem to be a team in which one member is not terribly competent. The portrayal is not very realistic. Second, they insert mini-stories between the scenes. In the last show I saw, one of these stories involved an EMT responding to a scene with a man vomiting, who she said tried to siphon gas from an RV and instead, siphoned from the waste holding tank. The way RV's are made, that is not possible (the tanks have a vent on the roof and a gravity dump below the tank, with no place to insert a siphon hose), but it was a story making the rounds on the internet a while ago. Bogus. In the same show, another mini-story involved an elderly woman, hard of hearing. The EMT said he leaned over and told her, "Big breaths". He said she looked down, then said "They used to be". That is a Henny Youngman joke more than 60 years old. Both of those mini-stories were presented as being real. Total BS. In that same show, one team received a call but could not understand the dispatcher. Instead of getting a clear message, they had a partial address and wandered off in the hopes of finding the scene. That is incredibly unprofessional. Having been an EMT myself, I simply cannot believe that a team could do that and still keep their jobs. Bottom line, it seems that writers and producers have taken an idea that might have worked and have written their own concept of what life is like for emergency services. Does anyone remember John Gage and Roy DeSoto on "Emergency"? They did a much more credible job. I don't plan on watching this trash again.
Teresa A. Puga Teresa A. Puga Friday, May 23, 2014 8:25:16 PM Awesome!!!!
Jason Shields Jason Shields Saturday, May 31, 2014 4:20:18 PM This s the worst show period!! Im a fire fighter paramedic and happen to stumble on this show. I have never seen a worst depiction of emergency calls we go on, not to mention the fact is the acting is horrendous.
Thursday, June 05, 2014 7:27:42 PM If this show is an example of how EMTs treat their patience, I would rather crawl to my car if injured and drive myself to the hospital! This is a poor example of true care. It is so sick at how the EMTs think it is so very funny to make jokes at injured patients, no matter what the problem is. This show is ridiculous as this EMT joker who has a child who couldn't breath just takes his time looking at an angry dog instead of running to the ambulance so they can take this suffering child to the hospital. Also, what Mother would not be right there with her child while transporting her baby to the hospital? This show is so unrealistic and gives EMTs a bad name!
Gladys Minor-Harried Gladys Minor-Harried Thursday, June 05, 2014 8:23:38 PM Too many labor calls. Women really screaming. I watched it one time and that's enough for me
Elizabeth Ferraro Elizabeth Ferraro Friday, June 06, 2014 9:40:01 AM I watched this show last night and found it completely inaccurate. Kristina is 100% right. FAME and GLORY.
Paul Vega Paul Vega Monday, June 09, 2014 5:19:16 AM REALLY?? IT REMINDS ME OF RESCUE 911 WITH WILLIAM SHATNER, THE BIPOLAR HOST ON THE SHOW. THE PRODUCERS OF OMG EMT SHOULD COME TO AN URBAN EMS AGENCY WHERE I'VE DEALT WITH REALITY FOR 20 YEARS, NOT FAME AND HOLLYWOOD..WE HAVE TONS OF UNUSUAL , HILARIOUS AND BS CALLS. 52 mins · Like
Cory T. Spankowski Cory T. Spankowski Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:06:23 PM Poor representation of EMS, and crappy acting to boot. I'm glad that, of all things that COULD be done to show the public what EMS does, TLC comes up with a parody that makes it look like EMTs respond to nothing but ridiculous calls. I'm nothing short of embarrassed.
Cory T. Spankowski Cory T. Spankowski Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:07:58 PM Yes, Jason, the acting IS horrendous.
Cory T. Spankowski Cory T. Spankowski Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:09:31 PM "Paramedics" did an absolutely awesome job in portraying what EMS is really like. It's a shame that EMS doesn't have a strong, long-standing show on TV.
John Oscar John Oscar Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:11:02 PM I find it mildly amusing. It is way overdone and takes every EMS maxim to it's ridiculous extreme. I think we as EMS see shows like this and start yelling about how they are portraying us. I think if we do that too much we come off like children and lose even more respect than this dumb show could ever take away from us. For example, when has the AMA ever spoken against a television show that depicts doctors breaking the rules, or the bar association complaining that lawyers are being portrayed as shady? I think we need to pick our battles...
Rob Schellinger Rob Schellinger Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:28:54 PM Aweful. Most staged show ever with the worst dialogue. Rescue 911 was better. For that matter, Emergency! was better. This is painfully embarrassing. "The show is meant to give viewers an inside look at what EMTs deal with on a daily basis." I've always thought there should be a live action Fire/EMS show like COPS.
Cory T. Spankowski Cory T. Spankowski Monday, June 16, 2014 7:03:43 AM I see what you're saying, John, but when is anyone going to get it right? I agree, there are shows of other medical disciplines that are inaccurate, but I'm sure that there is/has been some blow back from the powers that be. I'm just tired of the misrepresentation...it doesn't help us try to get away from the misnomer of "ambulance driver". I do understand what you're saying though.
John Oscar John Oscar Monday, June 16, 2014 7:07:51 AM If they showed the real "us"- the public would be so bored by what 80% of our calls are they would never watch it past the first episode.
Monday, August 04, 2014 7:26:29 PM I have watched 2 episodes. The first one I thought the stories were funny. The second one pissed me off. The story was a man collapsed on top of his girlfriend while having sex. Ok I get the funny in that. BUT what pissed me off was when these 2 female EMT's said they couldn't ROLL a 290 lbs man! Really!!!!! That is less than 150 lbs a person. How can you not lift or even roll that much weight?!!!! How the hell do you do your job every day? Get your asses to the gym and start lifting. How freakin embarrassing for the female EMT's in this field that take their job seriously enough to put forth the effort to be able to carry heavy weight because our jobs require it on a daily basis. This girl was saying that her and her partner were really small. Ummmm you are sitting there giving an interview. You are NOT small lady. Short maybe but NOT small by any means. But I am short too and I have lifted a 400 lbs patient on a 100 lbs gurney with just me and my partner. Their inability to lift was enough to piss me off but then this chick had no problem admitting on national TV that she is weak. Have some respect for yourself, your profession and your abilities to do your job. If you can't lift heavy do something about it.
Dag Wood Dag Wood Saturday, October 25, 2014 9:36:20 AM Charen is 20 and she's been an EMT for 3 years? Where? Who hires a 17 year old as an EMT? This show is a farce and demeaning to all the "real" first responders. Get it off the air!
Matt Hansen Matt Hansen Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:05:59 PM Agreed. Any State that I have worked in, you had to be 18 to be certified.
Matt Hansen Matt Hansen Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:11:47 PM The average career expectancy in EMS is five years! I have now been in it for 23 years and I would have to agree most do not hang around.
Zaith Camejo Zaith Camejo Sunday, October 26, 2014 7:54:57 AM GOOD ACTING !!!!