Home > Topics > EMS Advocacy

Pregnant medic loses baby after patient assault

A man has been arrested after he kicked the pregnant paramedic in the stomach

NBC 4 KFOR

OKLAHOMA CITY – An Oklahoma City man has been arrested, accused of killing an unborn child after assaulting a paramedic.

Authorities said 30-year-old Joanna Hickerson, a paramedic, responded to a call for a man needing medical attention last Friday.

Full story: Pregnant medic loses baby after patient assault

Comments
Pete Boucher Pete Boucher Friday, January 25, 2013 1:47:18 PM //
Naomi Modafferi Naomi Modafferi Friday, January 25, 2013 1:58:20 PM 17 weeks, she was showing. Not sure of the circumstances, but if he wasn't having a seizure and kicked her purposely. charge him with homicie. So sad. She's there to help & loses a life.:(
Melody Strait Melody Strait Friday, January 25, 2013 2:33:55 PM May God Bless your child and comfort the parents in their time of grief.
Harry Stone Harry Stone Friday, January 25, 2013 2:44:34 PM DA better press charges on that pile of crap.
Brianna Beaver Brianna Beaver Friday, January 25, 2013 3:00:42 PM They better charge that piece of shit
Judy Woldt Beck Judy Woldt Beck Friday, January 25, 2013 3:06:28 PM So very sorry to the parents of the precious baby. God bless.
Zach Smith Zach Smith Friday, January 25, 2013 6:16:42 PM This wouldn't happen if ems didn't have to respond to alcholics. Bring back the drunk tank! And I bet if she had had decent pay and healthcare maybe she could have been on maternity leave.
Michele Angelos Michele Angelos Friday, January 25, 2013 6:30:52 PM My heart goes out to the mom. Having worked as a EMT while pregnant I know what its like.
Terri Quinn-Strickland Terri Quinn-Strickland Friday, January 25, 2013 6:32:48 PM Prayers to the medics family, a tragedy that should of been avoided. I hope the DA peruses the charges
Dicki Nitch Dicki Nitch Friday, January 25, 2013 7:46:16 PM I am so very sorry for your loss. Such a tragedy!
Kerana Philips Kerana Philips Friday, January 25, 2013 7:55:30 PM This makes me sick!! Charge his ass! We are here to help not to be assaulted!!
Cölton R. Dean Cölton R. Dean Friday, January 25, 2013 8:36:31 PM Our company puts pregnant EMT's/Medics on light duty. I'm curious why she was in the field, lifting and such, while pregnant? Regardless, anyone who assaults EMS and healthcare workers should be charged.
Michele Angelos Michele Angelos Friday, January 25, 2013 8:46:15 PM With my department we were expected to work up until we delivered unless there was an underlying medical condition that required light duty, and then if you were put on light duty you were relieved of duty for the remainder of the pregnancy. For me make $8 an hour wasn't worth the risk.
Ashley Hiott Ashley Hiott Friday, January 25, 2013 8:56:28 PM Praying for you both, God will handle that POS.
Ron Armontrout Jr. Ron Armontrout Jr. Friday, January 25, 2013 8:59:29 PM Sad story!
Donna Kovac Donna Kovac Friday, January 25, 2013 9:11:33 PM As long as she was medically cleared to work and she felt comfortable, there should be no reason to require light duty.
Emang Sam Emang Sam Friday, January 25, 2013 9:12:33 PM wa thola.
Lynn Briggs Lynn Briggs Saturday, January 26, 2013 4:27:16 AM There is NO excuse for assault on EMS.....this is happening more and more....and it is not due to medical issues with the patient more often than not. Drunk, Drugs, Psychiatric are NOT excuses either! Besides there are many criminals in jail taking their medications! This insanity must end. My partner and I were assaulted and we are at 10 surgeries, the assailant is free, no charges, no record. No warnings, No red flags......PD took 15 minutes to arrive......FD never toned.....EMS has huge problems and because we are paid pathetically.....and in many cases no benefits or differential pay....we are apparently inconsequential. Prayers to the family. End this insanity and violent abuse of EMS workers, it is NOT inherent in our job, it has been allowed! Time to put EMS rights first and foremost before violent patients! Bring back the PD drunk tank! There are a millions laws but very few have actual consequences therefore this behaviour continues! Where is the outrage on the news for this baby homicide! What not important because there wasn't a gun? Murder is murder. Death is death......demand justice!
Asher Winik Asher Winik Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:39:58 AM So so sad ......
Diana Albanese Diana Albanese Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:08:11 AM I find it interesting that many of the comments are leaning towards finding an excuse of why it happened, many of them putting the medic in the wrong. Do they not realize that "light duty" in many companies is not always possible, and that in our field no work = no pay which leaves her financially strapped, which then leads to comments of "welfare mom" and other slurs? Every election the candidates grand stand on abortion and fetal stem cell research and preach "Christianity" However this loser is able to take an unborn baby's life and people are making excuses for him. Murder, folks is murder. End of story. If this had happed to a FF or Officer, would the outcry be different? Maybe, maybe not. The general public see public servants as their "punching bags" I often believe they have more rights than us.
Dawn Allison Dawn Allison Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:50:19 AM i worked in the field until i was 20 weeks with my last pregnancy. after that it was unpaid maternity leave until i was cleared to return to work. not all companies have "light duty" jobs available
Stephan Gascon Stephan Gascon Saturday, January 26, 2013 8:09:33 AM In our service, pregnant medics are stopped from work immediately, and are sent home for the remainder of the pregnancy, under our provincial Workers Compensation Law provisions regarding safe pregnancies for workers.
Brooke Malave Brooke Malave Saturday, January 26, 2013 10:52:32 AM My heart goes out to them. I hope he DA sees that this man is violent and needs to deal with the consequences.
Donna Graham Hammond Donna Graham Hammond Saturday, January 26, 2013 12:27:41 PM Prayers for this medic and her family. So sad. Hope the charge is at least a felony.
John Muravez John Muravez Saturday, January 26, 2013 4:42:40 PM oh my god... this is beyond sicking.... I feel bad for th medic and her husband and I hope the judge writes a whole new book for this ahole....
Lynn Briggs Lynn Briggs Saturday, January 26, 2013 6:24:51 PM You go Miss Diana.......you hit the nail on the head !!!!!!
Anne Rasmussen Anne Rasmussen Saturday, January 26, 2013 10:10:40 PM My heart breaks for this couple. I hope the DA persues the homicide charges because all they tried to do was HELP the patient! Thoughts & Prayers to the EMSA Paramedics & their family!
Barb Stockton Barb Stockton Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:55:09 PM Naomi~~ you have posted it very well ~~ "Not sure of the circumstances, but if he wasn't having a seizure and kicked her purposely. charge him".
Terry Scott Rasmussen Terry Scott Rasmussen Sunday, January 27, 2013 6:41:23 AM Sadly, you may take an oath to help others, but you often need to look after yourself first, especially when pregnant.
Torch Onepercenter Torch Onepercenter Sunday, January 27, 2013 7:46:03 AM What an ABSOLUTE SHAME! My DEEPEST condolences! And like you said Zach It's a shame what EMT's & Medics are making. Not much more than when I was on the job 17 years ago.
Alex Moses Alex Moses Sunday, January 27, 2013 8:57:12 AM He should get charged with murder but that would probably never happen since some scum bag lawyer would argue that if that was murder, how come women are able to have abortions?
Michael D Michael D Sunday, January 27, 2013 9:58:17 AM Why is this considered a homicide if abortions are legal
Michael D Michael D Sunday, January 27, 2013 10:00:54 AM Let me clarify I'm against abortions and my prayers go out to the medic, but seriously curious, how is it considered homicide if all abortions aren't considered homocides
Ima Raccoon Ima Raccoon Monday, January 28, 2013 10:06:32 AM 17 weeks is awfully early for most women to take maternity leave!
Dan Douglas Dan Douglas Monday, January 28, 2013 12:56:15 PM Why wasn't she assigned to alternative duties?
Lui Leger Lui Leger Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:46:27 AM She should be on Paid Maternity Leave!
Gary J Milliard Jr Gary J Milliard Jr Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:45:30 AM So sad that this happened to a fellow Paramedic, God Bless you from Webster MA.
Mackle Mart Mackle Mart Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:27:07 PM We all know EMS workers are expendable. The charges will be dropped or reduced. If a police officer was assaulted, it's a huge charge, and rightfully so. If a member of the general public is assaulted it is taken seriously, but if a paramedic was assaulted, the mentality seems to be "well, that person was drunk or high or emotionally upset so they didn't mean to do it so it is ok".
Mark Case Mark Case Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:57:48 PM The guy kicked her in the stomach causing her to have a misscarige. So it should be considered that she was a victim of a crime (assault). sorry about my spelling
Kim Doseck Stoddard Kim Doseck Stoddard Friday, February 01, 2013 5:50:01 PM so- if the woman wants the child it is murder- if she doesn't it is a "product of conception"? It is ALL MURDER.
Melinda Teaster Williams Melinda Teaster Williams Saturday, February 02, 2013 5:09:09 AM Zack I agree EMS has to assume the role of the Police way to much.
Angel Hicks Angel Hicks Sunday, February 03, 2013 2:20:21 PM He should be charged.. no on e else is asked to be assulted while they are working.. to many times medics are asked to deal with some people should just go to jail.. 17 weeks is early to go on leave. You only get 12 weeks off then your not promised your position back and work is hard to find. I am currently pregnant 30 weeks and take lots of precaution with patients. Praying for these parents..
Angel Hicks Angel Hicks Sunday, February 03, 2013 2:24:21 PM most companys do not offer that. mine doesnt either u go on leave on stay in the field my supervisor is supportive and tries to reduce my work load
Christina Hawley Christina Hawley Sunday, February 17, 2013 7:56:23 AM I see a lot of lawsuits at these companies that do no offer light duty or make their pregnant employees take unpaid time off throughout the pregnancy. Especially so early in the pregnancy. And there are a lot of things EMT's and Paramedics can do for "light duty" work. Supplies. Inventory. QA. Reviewing call reports to make sure they are done properly. Etc.
Tony Tran Tony Tran Monday, March 18, 2013 11:22:10 AM that why I always carry expandable baton with me when I'm on alcoholism patient! I will beat the shit out of that guy if he do that to my partner.