Make this page my home page
  1. Drag the home icon in this panel and drop it onto the "house icon" in the tool bar for the browser

  2. Select "Yes" from the popup window and you're done!

Home > Topics > Ambulances / Emergency Vehicles

Mass. town's ambulances all break down at once

One broke down on Friday, the other two following behind it on Saturday, putting them all out of commission

By EMS1 Staff

NORWELL, Mass. — All three ambulances belonging to Norwell, Mass., broke down within 24 hours of each other, leaving them dependent on mutual aid for two days.

The first ambulance, according to Wicked Local, broke down Friday, needing warranty repairs. The second had a hydraulic line bust on Saturday. Finally, the third ambulance broke down on Saturday as well, suffering from electrical problems.

An incoming storm was predicted to cause major issues for the town right around that time, Norwell Fire Chief Andy Reardon told the Local, but in the end "the storm didn't amount to much."

According to Chief Reardon, the town didn't have its own ambulance for between 36 to 48 hours. But mutual aid filled the gap.

"We have a fantastic mutual aid system," he said. "Everything was fine."

The ambulances are now fixed and running properly.

The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
Kandy Constable Kandy Constable Saturday, August 18, 2012 9:03:29 PM We've had two of our three break down at once, but *knock on wood* never all three!
Larry McDonald Larry McDonald Saturday, August 18, 2012 9:39:12 PM No regular premaint. Check? Just wondering
Patrick Gomer Roberson Patrick Gomer Roberson Sunday, August 19, 2012 6:09:05 AM Sounds familiar, Our EMS company had three units, had a chest pain call on the mountain, first unit blew a radiator hose going up the mountain, limped to the call. Second unit blew a transmission cooler line, parked the first in the yard. Third unit made the trip, pt to hospital with no lasting effects of being delayed on scene.
Travis Ferree Travis Ferree Sunday, August 19, 2012 7:02:13 AM We are going through similar right now. We haved two rigs. The first one went out for AC repairs. While that was at the gurage, an exterior compartment door won't unlock. When the first rig came back, the second rig went to have the lock cut out and the door replaced. While we are waiting the return, the first rig is now having engine problems. We are limping it along for the public.

Sponsored by

We Recommend...

Connect with EMS1

Mobile Apps Facebook Twitter Google+

Get the #1 EMS eNewsletter

Fire Newsletter Sign up for our FREE email roundup of the top news, tips, columns, videos and more, sent 3 times weekly
Enter Email
See Sample

Online Campus Both

Ambulances / Emergency Vehicles Videos