Make this page my home page
  1. Drag the home icon in this panel and drop it onto the "house icon" in the tool bar for the browser

  2. Select "Yes" from the popup window and you're done!

Home > Topics > Airway Management
November 26, 2012

Man who won roach eating contest choked to death

An autopsy revealed that Edward Archbold had died from choking and not from contaminated insects as others theorized

By EMS1 Staff

MIAMI — An autopsy has revealed that the Fla. man who died earlier this year after a live roach eating contest choked to death.

The autopsy, released Monday, concluded that Edward Archbold, 32, died as a result of "asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of choking contents," according to the Associated Press.

Archbold died after eating the cockroaches as well as worms in October in a contest at a reptile store to win a python. He fell ill shortly after winning the contest and was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Drug tests came back negative and his death has been ruled an accident.

About 30 other people also ate the insects, but none became sick or died.

Comments
The comments below are member-generated and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of EMS1.com or its staff. If you cannot see comments, try disabling privacy and ad blocking plugins in your browser. All comments must comply with our Member Commenting Policy.
Dan Kundert Dan Kundert Monday, November 26, 2012 3:32:12 PM Mmmm... What ever happened to hot dog eating contests?
Karen December Karen December Wednesday, January 09, 2013 12:46:47 PM GUESS IT WAS NOT DARING ENOUGH DANIEL!!!!

EMS1 Offers

Sponsored by

We Recommend...

Connect with EMS1

Mobile Apps Facebook Twitter Google+

Get the #1 EMS eNewsletter

Fire Newsletter Sign up for our FREE email roundup of the top news, tips, columns, videos and more, sent 3 times weekly
Enter Email
See Sample

Online Campus Both

Airway Management Videos